At last count, how many tarantulas are in your collection?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have 32

8 adults/subadults
5 large juveniles
19 slings/small juveniles (though a decent chunk of those slings are being raised to sell)

That adds up, right?

jacob m greenwood

Arachnopeon
i have 14. 12 are slings and 2 are juvies. also got 2 scorps and 2 millipedes. i dont think it'll stop there though i love keeping inverts there my favorite type of animal to keep cause of the low space requirement and how unique they are. the T i want most at the moment is bumba cabocla just such a cool looking spood.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
38 Ts and 9 scorps; also around 90 B hamorii slings left from my last breeding and a brood of H. longimanus with around 20 scorplings.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I only have 10 tarantulas at the moment. 3 adults/subadults and the rest are slings of varying sizes. I do plan on getting more soon. I'd really like a colour 'morph' aka locality phenotype of a P. murinus. And I want another Pamphobeteus and a GBB. Also subscribed to be notified by email when O. aureotibialis slings are available. So there are tarantulas I still want, it's just a matter of finding them. I generally only get 3 tarantulas a year or so. I need to 'bite the bullet' so to speak and just get one from the Internet. I just have a bit of old 'arachnophobic' anxiety opening the vials, because I keep imagining slings bolting out of the paper towel and I guess my 'fear' stems from being afraid I won't know where the sling is when I open the container. I get this is just an irrational fear, and I've watched unboxing videos that go fine. I'm sure my experience would be fine, too. Long story short; my collection shall not stay at just 10 for long! :D

Moebius

Arachnopeon
I only have 10 tarantulas at the moment. 3 adults/subadults and the rest are slings of varying sizes. I do plan on getting more soon. I'd really like a colour 'morph' aka locality phenotype of a P. murinus. And I want another Pamphobeteus and a GBB. Also subscribed to be notified by email when O. aureotibialis slings are available. So there are tarantulas I still want, it's just a matter of finding them. I generally only get 3 tarantulas a year or so. I need to 'bite the bullet' so to speak and just get one from the Internet. I just have a bit of old 'arachnophobic' anxiety opening the vials, because I keep imagining slings bolting out of the paper towel and I guess my 'fear' stems from being afraid I won't know where the sling is when I open the container. I get this is just an irrational fear, and I've watched unboxing videos that go fine. I'm sure my experience would be fine, too. Long story short; my collection shall not stay at just 10 for long! :D
It's only irrational until you get something like a Tapinauchenius and have a bit of bad luck with an extra skittish sling ;). Then it's a very rational anxiety/concern. What does the eight-legged pop-tart say? *Soooonic BOOOOOM* (is it on you? The wall? The floor? Did it just run up your arm, down into the bottle, back up again, and then back down again in 1 second? WILD CARD BABY!)

I wish the whole, turtle turtle, am in the bottle or in your clothes?! in a span of a second was a joke. It's funny in retrospect, but pretty much a big "Ahhh crap, that clever girl..." at the time. No regrets though, once they get some size it's pretty "meh", but when they're so tiny it's hard to spot them on dark fabric, oh boy.

On the flip side, for a Asian pet hole, my gal really wants an O. aurotibialis, and they're one I've just kinda waited on; not from lack of desire, just other priorities before hand. Definitely want to bite the bullet on one or two of those, every so often you find a species that really catches your interest despite it all and a general lack of popularity. That one has been one of mine for a couple years along with Haplocosmia himalayana (kicking myself for not snagging them the last time).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter

I think that if I had very many more, the care would start to become more of a chore, and there are enough to watch that something interesting is usually happening with at least one of them.
And now I have 60. But, I'm living in a house now with much more room and a better organized system of shelving, and it's not too much of a chore because I break it up into 2 days. Also, when the males are all gone in a few years, I'll probably have closer to 30.

Take that, younger me!

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I currently have 19 tarantulas, but I am expecting a couple more slings to arrive next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dman

Arachnosquire
I have 24 and like most addictions I keep getting more:

Dman

Arachnosquire
I have 118 from 65 species:

0.1.0 Acanthoscurria geniculata

0.0.1 Augacephalus ezendami

0.1.0 Avicularia avicularia

0.0.1 Brachypelma albopilosum "Curly Hair"
0.0.1 Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaragua"
0.0.2 Brachypelma boehmei
0.0.4 Brachypelma emilia
0.1.0 Brachypelma hamorii
0.1.2 Brachypelma vagans

0.0.2 Caribena versicolor

0.0.2 Ceratogyrus darlingi
0.0.2 Ceratogyrus marshalli

0.1.0 Chilobrachys dyscolus "Blue"
0.0.3 Chilobrachys fimbriatus
0.0.1 Chilobrachys sp. Electric Blue

0.1.0 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

0.0.1 Cyclosternum sp. Cundinamarca

0.0.1 Cyriocosmus bertae
0.0.2 Cyriocosmus elegans
0.1.0 Cyriocosmus leetzi

0.1.0 Davus pentaloris

0.0.1 Diplura sanguinea

0.0.3 Dolichothele diamantinensis

0.0.2 Ephebopus cyanognathus

0.0.2 Grammostola rosea

0.0.1 Haploclastus devamatha

0.0.2 Haplocosmia himalayana

0.1.2 Harpactira pulchripes

0.1.0 Heteroscodra maculata

0.1.0 Holothele longipes

0.1.0 Hysterocrates gigas

0.0.1 Idiothele mira

0.1.0 Lampropelma nigerrimum

0.1.1 Lasiodora parahybana

0.0.2 Linothele fallax
0.0.2 Linothele megatheloides

0.0.1 Liphistius ornatus

0.0.2 Lyrognathus giannisposatoi

1.1.5 Neoholothele incei "Trinidad Olive"

0.1.0 Nhandu chromatus
0.1.0 Nhandu coloratovillosus
0.1.0 Nhandu tripepii

0.1.1 Ornithoctonus aureotibialis

0.0.2 Orphnaecus philippinus
0.0.2 Orphnaecus sp. Blue Panay
0.0.2 Orphnaecus sp. Marinduque
0.0.1 Orphnaecus sp. Negros

0.0.1 Pelinobius muticus

0.0.2 Phlogiellus johnreylazoi (Palawan)

0.0.3 Phormictopus auratus

0.1.0 Poecilotheria miranda
0.0.2 Poecilotheria ornata
0.1.0 Poecilotheria regalis
0.2.2 Poecilotheria subfusca "highland"
1.1.2 Poecilotheria subfusca "lowland"

0.0.2 Psalmopoeus cambridgei
0.1.0 Psalmopoeus pulcher
0.1.0 Psalmopoeus reduncus

0.0.2 Pseudoclamoris gigas

0.1.0 Pterinochilus lugardi.
0.1.1 Pterinochilus murinus

1.1.0 Sericopelma sp. Boquete

0.0.1 Tapinauchenius rasti
0.0.4 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus
0.0.3 Tapinauchenius violaceus
I am so jealous!!:D

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have 7 from my original 2014/2015 purchases. Lost a couple slings in bad moults first year; and then had a couple MMs that passed later.
So... for last 2 years and now: 7.

Other than my dream L violaceopes (or is it now O violaceopes?) which frankly, I'm not ready for yet, I have no planned purchases at the moment.

Minty

@londontarantulas
42 at the moment. Not planning to get any more this year.

Unless I find a female Orinocotonus aureotibialis.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ts are a hobby for me. I think I've only ever had like 10 or 11 tops since getting into the hobby.
Those with so many Ts -- full kudos for the hours of care, feeding and maintenance that must take!

And here, with just 7 Ts to care for the last couple years, I guess I have it easy with feedings and maintenance. Though, I do still miss some of my MMs. Shame they don't live longer. :(

[Also, a correction. I didn't lose 2 slings to bad moults, one avic just never thrived. Lived 8 or 9 months or so -- not eating, not moulting, just living in a tiny webbed tube he/she built. And it was a sling avic I put in the exact same container (cleaned and with similar set-up) a previous avic (MM) lived in and thrived but had been rehoused due to growth. Still sad over its loss]

Dev1lZ

Arachnopeon
5 slings as I recently only got back into the hobby a few months ago.