1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assasin bugs

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by FlyKiwiFly, Mar 12, 2018.

1. FlyKiwiFly

FlyKiwiFly Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hey guys, first of all i am new with the mentioned insects, but i instantly fell in love with them :D Had them for couple of weeks, these are temporary enclosures till i get my space freed, i didn't expect getting as much of them as i did some were gratis :D nymphs are well fed so there were no incidents, they are casual and most of the time the fight over food ends up with the number of nymphs eating the same pray :D

Platymeris laevicollis (1 female and 1 male) and as i saw in the moist part of the substrate there are already some visible eggs, didn't take a good pic, phone cant pick it up and i don't want to disturb them, if someone knows about the egg care, i don't want to over-moist or dry them, or should i actually put them in separate container? pls give me any possible info i should know :D

[​IMG]

Psytalla horrida
    (11 nymphs)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. woww, is it rhadamatus or laevicollis though?

• Like Like x 1
  3. FlyKiwiFly

FlyKiwiFly Arachnopeon

I tought that rhadamtnhus was the red spotted one :D? I'm new to them so could be my mistake i was told they are rhadamanthus, they are pretty big tho, will try getting sharper pics in the morning.

EDIT: Yeah after just a bit of research i must say you are correct, tnx for that :)

4. ohh both are red spotted, im new too, I don't own them but I am very interested in them. I'm not sure if there is a difference

5. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Congratulations! Those are great! I have two thriving colonies of P. biguttatus, but I'd love to get some of the horrida! Nobody over here seems to have them, though - at least not in my area.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FlyKiwiFly

FlyKiwiFly Arachnopeon

How do you care for eggs do you separate them from adults or not and do they need any different temp or humidity than the nymphs are kept in? Btw tried finding p biguttatus wasnt lucky in my region tho horridas are flooding our market xD

7. chanda

If you weren't an ocean away, I'd suggest a swap! ;)

I don't bother separating out the eggs - they are hatching out quite well in the same environment that the adults are in (which makes sense, as that is what happens in the wild anyway). Besides, it would be kind of a hassle to pick out the eggs - they're tucked into all sorts of nooks and crannies in the cork bark, as well as mixed in with the substrate. I just keep them at room temperature (generally somewhere between 70-80 degrees F) and spray water into the tank 2-3 times a week. We also keep a small humidifier running in the room, since our SoCal air tends to be pretty dry. The substrate is relatively dry - particularly on top - but the lower levels are just moist enough to keep my cleaner isopods alive... until one of the assassins catches them! (The isopods are the offspring of wild-caught local Porcelio species - pretty big (for an isopod) and relatively hardy.)

So far, I've got eggs, nymphs, and adults all living communally. I dump in assorted sizes of crickets twice a week (along with a little food for the crickets and isopods) so they are well fed. It's possible that there might be a little cannibalism going on behind-the-scenes - but if so, I haven't seen it. Nymphs are hatching and growing, so it seems to be working out well so far. They have plenty of rough cork bark and cork tubes, with lots of little nooks and crannies to hide in. In the big tank they're pretty spread out - but in the small cage, the adults tend to stay clustered together most of the time, even though they do have other bits of bark they could hide under.

I do need to "thin the herd" a bit, though! I've got a lot of nymphs now, so I may try trading some of them locally for something else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. FlyKiwiFly

FlyKiwiFly Arachnopeon

Yeah haha, tnx for detailed info will definitely follow through on it :)

9. Mpaul213

Mpaul213 Arachnopeon

Thanks for sharing your care tips!
    What's humidity are you keeping the room/tank at.

10. chanda

It varies, depending on whether we remember to refill the humidifier, whether the central heating or a/c are running, how much water we have in the various tanks and cages - but it generally averages somewhere in the 40%-60% range for ambient room humidity. With water dishes and the moisture in the substrate, humidity in many of the cages will be somewhat higher - but I don't use gauges to measure it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mpaul213

Mpaul213 Arachnopeon

Awesome, thanks

12. FlyKiwiFly

FlyKiwiFly Arachnopeon

There are some visible eggs and lots more in the substrate, hopefully there will be new additions to the P. leavicollis 'colony'

[​IMG]

13. KevinsWither

KevinsWither Arachnobaron

Interesting! I had a colony of mombo and they did really well!

14. FlyKiwiFly

FlyKiwiFly Arachnopeon

Everybody pretty much says they are easy breeders and do well at keeping them as a colony (adults, nymphs and eggs together i mean) the only issue would be overbreeding at some point xD

15. Hello guys,
    Carefull to crickes. One ate few of my guys eggs...I don't leave them inside if they are not readly taken.