Asking about Orb-Weavers (Neoscona)...

gregg097

Arachnopeon
Hi! I live in the Philippines, people here hunt Orb-Weavers (nescona) and sell it outside the city for a few bucks depending on the sizes, and people who buy them either keep them as a pet or use them for gambling (making them fight on a stick), especially in the province, even kids have them and make them fight for fun (pokemon style), I was never a fan of making them fight, but I bought two when I was like 8 years old (I'm 22 now), I fed both of them with insects, keeping them in a match box (that's where most keepers put their neoscona), but they died after a week because the ants infiltrated the box and slowly killed them, I was a clueless kid back then, never thought ants could kill them.

I'm just curious what's the right size and style or setting of enclosure do they need to survive, I'm now aware that they need a big enclosure to make their web house freely but some people here claim that this type of Orb-weaver can adapt in a small enclosure like in a match box or a pencil case, is that true? And does putting substrate in their enclosure stress and harm them or does it help them to survive? Or the the neosconas just don't care if you put some? I've seen some people do that and make an acrylic enclosure look a little fancy for their Orb-Weavers not knowing what would be the effect on them.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know about smaller enclosures, but I can say that substrate probably isn't necessary other than for aesthetics. They'll never touch it since they'll be in their webs until they die (unless it's a male that matures and goes to find a mate).

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
This should be posted in the true spider forum. There are probably more people browsing that forum who know the answers to your questions.

badscorp

Arachnopeon
I have one of these guys. And yes they adapt to really small enclosures, when I was a kid, I used to divide a matchbox into six compartments, and fit six of them there. Though in small spaces they're vulnerable to ant attacks. Also they will just sleep all the time in small enclosures, unless you take them out. I recommend large enclosures if you're not going to make them fight, they're good for display and you can freely design the enclosure. Hope this helps although already late:happy::happy: