Asian vine snake @ dinner

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my asian vine snake (Ahaetulla prasina) eating a mouse (!)

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! I'm quite happy with the way it turned out! :)

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very nice! It brings me back to my Navy days. We went to Singapore and I actually caught one!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah I see. I know next to nothing on venomous snakes.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome picture and awesome snake! How much do you these usually run for? I may be interested in one in the future. :cool:

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ Paul: Over here they go for anything in between €15 and €65 (say $25-$100) for wildcaughts. CB are VERY rare, and I have no idea how much they go for. Be prepared though, these guys are near impossible to get to eat mice. Normally they only take lizzards. I'm just very lucky with the girl I have. ;)

@Noexcuse4you: Nice specimen! Looks like that one is slighly bigger then mine.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wowowow...that is just amazing.

Anyone have any luck with breeding yet? This gives hope that CB will not be so tough to deal with.

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It took a while of forcefeeding F/T pinkies. after about 2 months or so I decided to try a live fuzzy mouse, which she ate after about an hour. since then she eats fuzzies/hoppers every time!

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i m just wondering wat is the long term effects if u alter a snake's eating habbit?
eg. king cobra on rats, vine snakes on mice

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, reading around it seems theirs been a few CB successes(Dallas zoo). Anyone have any info on success themselves? I infer the snakes are livebearers.
'

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i m just wondering wat is the long term effects if u alter a snake's eating habbit?
eg. king cobra on rats, vine snakes on mice
I dont know about vine snakes, but if you change eating habits of most Boiga(normally eat birds) and try to breed them, the excess calcium from the rodent bones cause the shells of their eggs to become extremely hard and the babies cant hatch out. But Boiga eat birds and vine snakes eat lizards so maybe no problem with vine snake eggs?