Asian Forest Scorpion

Eightfuzzyfeet

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping T's for a long while, but know very little about Scorpions. My roommate has an AFS and the Scorpion is laying on its side. Is this something to be concerned about?
The Scorpion is usually very active at night. He eats. But now he's virtually unresponsive and on his side.

Eightfuzzyfeet

Arachnopeon
The scorpion is active at night and lays on his side, motionless, during the day for the most part.
He is now wedging himself between the glass and the hide, on his side during the day for several hours at a time.
I'm not at home right now to take a photo but can post some tomorrow.

CamoRhino

Arachnopeon
My best guess without seeing the tank is that it is too hot and it is against the colder glass to cool off.
What is your heat source?
Also what kind and how much substrate do you use?

Drea

Arachnosquire
I have one of these named Steve and I don’t give him a direct heat source. His enclosure is right next to a different enclosure that has a heat lamp that warms up about 25% of Steve’s enclosure. He only goes over there once and in a while.

Should he have more or less heat? He is fat, happy, and healthy and has normal behaviors of his species. He has been kept this way for 4 1/2 years.

Sebastian Trujillo

Arachnopeon
Roommate says that the temp is 77.
He has a heat rock in the tank.
Oh no. Get that heat rock out of there ASAP. A heat mat on a rheostat is a good way to maintain temperature, or a heat lamp with the proper wattage.

Edit: If the heat mat route is taken, never place under the tank but on the side instead so it doesn’t heat up the substrate and overheat the scorpion if it burrows.

CamoRhino

Arachnopeon
Scorps burrow to escape heat not to find it. A heat rock is a bad idea. I reccomend a heat mat on the side of the tank. ALso if you have had him for that long he may be at the end of his life span. Did you get him as an adult or a sling?

Last edited: