Asian Forest Scorpion specie, male or female.

Medi

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

I don't know the sex of my scorp. I already asked this question here earlier but i only got one answer and since i saw a few pictures on the internet(first two screenshot attached below) im a bit confused cause those pictures are the opposite of each other for my eyes. Maybe they are different at a few species of scorpions. Would be great if you can help me guys.

And if you have a few extra minutes to correct me if im wrong about the specie it's a heterometrus petersii"?! Since he/she molted it claws and stinger looks brownish / redish Im colour blind tho. Thank's
(pictures attached)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hi everyone!

I don't know the sex of my scorp. I already asked this question here earlier but i only got one answer and since i saw a few pictures on the internet(first two screenshot attached below) im a bit confused cause those pictures are the opposite of each other for my eyes. Maybe they are different at a few species of scorpions. Would be great if you can help me guys.

And if you have a few extra minutes to correct me if im wrong about the specie it's a heterometrus petersii"?! Since he/she molted it claws and stinger looks brownish / redish Im colour blind tho. Thank's
(pictures attached)
The first screenshot looks to me the same scorpion - no wonder you are confused - the second screenshot is much better. The Genital Operculum, the plate above the pectines, is Oval shaped in Males, in Females it is more Heart shaped - sometimes very difficult to determine though. Your scorpion has one of these odd shaped Genital operculums But going by the length of the pectines I would say it's Male. Difficult one though.
As for determining the species there is even more a debate about that. It's either H. laoticus or H. spinifer. I see you are in Bournemouth and if purchased from BugzUK it is probably H.spinifer.

Medi

Arachnopeon
The first screenshot looks to me the same scorpion - no wonder you are confused - the second screenshot is much better. The Genital Operculum, the plate above the pectines, is Oval shaped in Males, in Females it is more Heart shaped - sometimes very difficult to determine though. Your scorpion has one of these odd shaped Genital operculums But going by the length of the pectines I would say it's Male. Difficult one though.
As for determining the species there is even more a debate about that. It's either H. laoticus or H. spinifer. I see you are in Bournemouth and if purchased from BugzUK it is probably H.spinifer.
Ah i see. Yeah trust me i was trying to find all the informations but it's not easy at all.
And i bought it from "The Reptalium" shop and the guy only said its an asian forest scorpion.
Thanks your answer.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pics kind of far away but looks like a recently molted petersii to me. Spinifer often has a more bulbous telson, the telson is usually more light colored and the chela are a little more elongated, often confused with longimanus. Spinifer are hard to get in the US today. I like spinifer, I let my generations go, too bad. Taking a closer pic of the carapace would help.

Medi

Arachnopeon
Pics kind of far away but looks like a recently molted petersii to me. Spinifer often has a more bulbous telson, the telson is usually more light colored and the chela are a little more elongated, often confused with longimanus. Spinifer are hard to get in the US today. I like spinifer, I let my generations go, too bad. Taking a closer pic of the carapace would help.
Yeah he is molted not long ago. How could you tell that btw?
I was trying to take some pics from closer, hope they will help

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah he is molted not long ago. How could you tell that btw?
I was trying to take some pics from closer, hope they will help
It's kind of shiny for petersii but that'd be my guess. I like to go to this pdf to look up things, http://kovarex.com/scorpio/pdf/2004-Heterometrus.pdf checkout Fig.23 in the pdf, see what you think. I thought it recently molted because the chela still haven't completely darkened up.

Medi

Arachnopeon
It's kind of shiny for petersii but that'd be my guess. I like to go to this pdf to look up things, http://kovarex.com/scorpio/pdf/2004-Heterometrus.pdf checkout Fig.23 in the pdf, see what you think. I thought it recently molted because the chela still haven't completely darkened up.
Yeah i have already got that pdf from another post from arachnoboards:) and i agree with that that's the closest one but i was not 100% sure, cause of the chela as you said is not that dark yet, so that's might be the signs of the fresh molting then+ i thought its a female. Thanks :)

Last edited: