Asian Forest Scorpion Question

BoshkaX

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I have been reading the forums since getting my new scorpions they are young about 1-1.5 inches from their mouth to the first tail segment. I have them in a 5.5 gallon enclosure right now that I setup for them. They have around 2.5-4 inches of substrate depending on the location and a couple hides I setup. They eat fine I put in a small feed dish every other night for since getting them about a 2 weeks ago with 3-4 dozen fruit flies. When I get up in the morning they have eaten all, but a few of them and if I try and put more in the following night they go uneaten. So at least for now it appears that is enough every other night to keep them satisfied and full.
DSCN0860.JPG
I understand they are nocturnal animals and I should not expect to see them running around their enclosures all day long. I am wondering though is there anything I can do short of pulling them out of their hides or reducing the substrate lvl so they can't borrow. Both of those are not options I'm willing to do. In order to encourage them to be more visible throughout the day a bit. I seem to see lots of pictures of ppl's scorpions out and about, but at the same time it seems they have 1in of substrate.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I only see mine out in the open sporadically. I see them at the entrance of their hides, awaiting prey to bumble in, and when they are out and about it is usually a sign that it is time to feed them. I've wondered whether the ones people have that are visible a lot have not had their environment replicated satisfactorily enough. Or on the other side of the coin, whether I may not have MY enclosures to their liking and they stay hidden on that account. My pride and understanding of their habits makes me think the former is the case, though. In any event, they seem healthy and eat and moult well so far, so I guess it is kind of irrelevant.

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

I have been reading the forums since getting my new scorpions they are young about 1-1.5 inches from their mouth to the first tail segment. I have them in a 5.5 gallon enclosure right now that I setup for them. They have around 2.5-4 inches of substrate depending on the location and a couple hides I setup. They eat fine I put in a small feed dish every other night for since getting them about a 2 weeks ago with 3-4 dozen fruit flies. When I get up in the morning they have eaten all, but a few of them and if I try and put more in the following night they go uneaten. So at least for now it appears that is enough every other night to keep them satisfied and full.
View attachment 289137
I understand they are nocturnal animals and I should not expect to see them running around their enclosures all day long. I am wondering though is there anything I can do short of pulling them out of their hides or reducing the substrate lvl so they can't borrow. Both of those are not options I'm willing to do. In order to encourage them to be more visible throughout the day a bit. I seem to see lots of pictures of ppl's scorpions out and about, but at the same time it seems they have 1in of substrate.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.
I personally would not keep any forest scorpions communally. I had one female Spinifer take out like 3 males in a short matter of time. I would just be real careful with the communal housing, especially since you do not see them much. One may go MIA and you will never really know what happened. Just my advice :)

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Get a red light so you can see them when they are active. They are pretty light sensitive so won’t be out during the day.

BoshkaX

Arachnopeon
Appreciate the replies ... Thanks

I personally would not keep any forest scorpions communally. I had one female Spinifer take out like 3 males in a short matter of time. I would just be real careful with the communal housing, especially since you do not see them much. One may go MIA and you will never really know what happened. Just my advice :)
I will be sure to keep an eye on them best I can and be sure they are well fed at all times. Hopefully full bellies and sufficient room for them will help prevent any aggression between them.

Get a red light so you can see them when they are active. They are pretty light sensitive so won’t be out during the day.
Unfortunately due to new work schedule when they are active I'm sleeping so was hoping they might make a few daytime appearances. I work from home though so their enclosure is not far from my sight so perhaps I will get lucky one of these evenings or early mornings.