"asian forest scorpion"/ heterometrus

Danywill

Arachnopeon
Hello, everyone.
I have kept tarantulas for a while now but I know nothing of scorpions. I work at a pet store and recently learned we will begin carrying T's (g.rosea, of course) and scorpions soon. I'm the only one with experience in arachnid care so I was doing some research on scorpions to teach my coworkers. Unfortunately the email stated that the scorpions we will be stocking are "Asian forest scorpions." According to everything I've read this common name covers the entirety of the Heterometrus genus, correct? Do all the heterometrus species require the same care, then?
Are they quite difficult to care for/ keep alive?
Also if anyone has any helpful tips that I'm unlikely to see in the various care guides online, please feel free to share!
Thanks!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most of them can be kept like Pandinus imperator. The reason I don't say "all of them.." is because I'm not familiar with all of them. Even most people with a lot of experience with Heterometrus aren't familiar with all of the species. if you read up and use some common sense, they should be easy because you are likely to get in a commonly imported species, so more public info on the species. I would try to ID what you get in and try to look up the range they are native too. Look at temps and seasons, rainfall, stuff like that. Whatever you get in should do OK with a few inches of coco fiber. a place to hide and I would have water available. I've seen them go in a water bowl, walk on the bottom, under water to the other side. I've seen them keep parts of their body in the water, accident?, I don't know. I would recommend deeper substrate rather than a few inches but if they are kept at a pet store for sale, you want to be able to show them to customers easily. So I think they will do OK with a few inches of moist substrate but I'd make sure there is a large place to hide you can lift to show customers/potential buyers. Can you post pics later, I'm kind of curious what you get in.