Asian Forest Scorpion Help

Lovely Cheeks

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased an Asian Forest about a week ago. 10 gallon terrarium, two hides, and about 3 inches of substrate ( Eco earth/ Coconut Fiber) with a 8 watt heat pad on one side of the tank. Its behavior strikes me as odd. It hangs out behind one of its hides (a plant pot) pressed up against the side of the glass most of the day. Also, I have witnessed it on its tail trying to climb the glass to get out of its enclosure. I'm not sure if this is normal or if the animal is stressed. I have 4 crickets in its enclosure that I just put in today.

I have it in my basement near a window. The temperature is usually between 65 to 75 F. Is there something I may be doing wrong?

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Glass dancing is normal for the first couple of days. I have one myself. Ensure that the heat pad is entirely above the substrate.

Mine has a hard time catching crickets and prefers large roaches instead as well as the occasional Earth worm.

H spinifer thirsty 4.jpg

They're really neat pets.

Lovely Cheeks

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your response! Do you think the substrate should be deeper? I have been reading different things on how deep it should be when they burrow and molt.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for your response! Do you think the substrate should be deeper? I have been reading different things on how deep it should be when they burrow and molt.
Yes , the substate should be deeper to permit burrowing. Make sure the flower pot is broken so that it's not sealed on the back end.

They need to be a bit higher in temps than 65F. Aim for 75 - 80 F.

The substrate should me most throughout , but not saturated. Cover half the lid with saran wrap to retain humidity (but other than that don't chase humidity numbers).

Lovely Cheeks

Arachnopeon
Thank you! My scorpion mostly stays on one side of the 10 gallon terrarium. Not sure if it is stressed or not. Also, the 8 watt heat mat emits some heat, but not quite as much as I hoped. Is it safe to leave heat mats on 24/7?