1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arowana

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Myrmeleon, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Thought I would share this because it is pretty cool. 20181108_144020.jpg
    An albino silver arowana I won for my shop at school in a youtube giveaway. Predatory Fins was giving away this arowana, they are business that sells monster fish such as rays and large catfish, as well as many other unusual species. Right now it is pretty small, so we are growing it out in progressively larger tanks until it is big enough to go into a pond. We are planning to use it like a magnet for the shop and educating other kids on various topics such as conservation, habitat destruction, and captive breeding.

• Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 1
  2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Just keep a lid over it when its big...they will strike at anything and are capable of causing damage. I worked at a large zoo for 12 years, the worst injury ever had was from a large arowana....cut me from my wrist almost to the elbow...didn't even realize t happened until I heard the blood start dripping off my arm.

Very cool plans!...I like seeing it in the hands of someone with a plan to adulthood. So many go to people without a plan and the fish don't live full lives. You are gonna love watching it grow.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

Lovely fish, and love the plan that you have currently. Saw these in the wild and was just amazed by them! Definitely try to update us as it grows!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Very, very cool. There aren't that many people who can keep these well, so I'm glad to see that you plan to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

Ohmygoodness LOOOVE. Arowana are one of my favourite fish... I don't currently have the means to keep one properly ): Please post lots of updates so I can live vicariously through your experience!

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Second that. Arowanas are stunning and beautiful, especially the white and albino variants. Post all the info on all your arowanas. Share with us their greatness.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Myrmeleon

Thanks for the advice! Do you happen to know if I should put netting over a pond when we do move it in? or will it be okay on its own? Also, you can hear blood dripping off of your arm!? How much blood was this?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Myrmeleon

I'm sorry to disappoint, but we only have 1 arowana (for now... my shop teachers are getting slightly annoyed with me for bringing in more animals :p). I will be sure though to post more pics! I had 2 minutes in between classes to take pics, but next week will be shop week which means less homework, and more fun/free time!

9. Myrmeleon

Awesome I will! I too have felt the urge to live vicariously through the experiences of others (me in my imagination: helicopter pilot, master hacker, expert assassin, shadowy spy, monster fish keeper, invertebrate connoisseur, world class chef, top notch tracker, miraculous field medic, senior lawyer, edgy researcher, daring SCUBA diver, expert kick-boxer/jiu-jitsu master, insane party animal, gets straight As.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

its the aquarium setting with me picturing people leaning over or touching the water like so many indoor ponds you see...outside they will be more wary than in an artificial environment.

Lots of blood, i heard it dripping into a quickly forming pool of my own blood.

The cut was so fast and almost surgical i never felt it....after it felt like a giant paper cut, despite being deeper....but seeing it, one would have thought it was done with a sharp instrument, like a scalpel and not a fish.

It was totally my fault, i wasnt even aware arowana was there as it was under the platform and my focus was elsewhere. Plus, i had already located the other two and never realized the 3rd was there.

I was slapping the surface to call up the huge red tail cat, which you could hand feed and was watching the swarming pacu (which were full grown adults) ....i was really more worried about those pacu to be honest....just as the cat began to rise, the water exploded around my hand....i really thought i had been fast enough in getting out of there....nope...lol.

The fish in question was the smaller one, about 4 and a half foot.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  11. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

One never is--it's really only a question of how well the animal judged the distance and how much it was actually trying to hurt you. After all, these guys are catching speedy little fish.

I once saw a video of a guy (viperkeeper, if anyone is familiar) feeding a puff adder when it went for his hand. At full speed, it looked like he got away in time; in slow motion, you could see that the viper finished moving before he started. The only thing that saved him was that it stopped short

• Like Like x 3
  12. Myrmeleon

That is awesome in that you were hand feeding a monster fish, but also not in that you were bleeding, but also awesome in that it is awe inspiring to imagine the damage such an animal could do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Myrmeleon

A couple more images, I took like a billion, and out of them only a few came in clear. Will get more pics! Also, the arowana has now acclimated, and is currently feeding on shelled freeze-dried shrimp. We attempted to get it to feed on chopped up frozen silver sides, but it rejected them. Still a little shy maybe? Anyway, can't wait to get some blackwater extract for this guy. Do any of you know if peat moss would be ok as well?
    Edit: Forgot to mention that the random dude is doing water chemistry tests on the tank, might have been slightly out of context.

20181114_133308.jpg 20181114_133306 (1).jpg 20181108_144015.jpg Inked20181113_131052_LI.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 10:43 PM
    • Like Like x 1