1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armoured Fighter Cricket "Cosmoderus Femoralis"

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Stardisk, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Stardisk

Stardisk Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi!

I was finally able to buy 3 nymphs of the Cosmoderus Femoralis.
    They are just 2 months old and captive bred.
    I did some research before I bought them of course, but I see different info on the net so I did not find all my answers yet...
    I got info from the breeder. Just looking for personal experiences :)

So my question is:
    -Does anyone kept these before and at what conditions?
    -What did you feed them?
    -Did you breed them?
    -How can you sex them?

Pics of them and their tank set-up for now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Those are beautiful and what a wonderful enclosure too! Sooo happy to see that people are able to CB them too.

1. Haven't kept them yet, but want to. I'd rely on the breeder for basic care.
    2. I believe they're omnivorous, but the bulk of their diet is plant based. A little protein every now and then can't hurt.
    3. Haven't kept them (yet)
    4. Females will grow an ovipositor as they get larger and molt more. It should be fairly noticeable, but I'm not super familiar with the structures on this genus.

Enjoy your beauties!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

@basin79 Another potential alternative to the king cricket? Sorry for the hijack.

4. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

King cricket?

5. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Big and mean cricket/weta thing

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

1- Never kept them
    2- I would feed them fruit and dead insects, maybe a big of leaf litter too to chew on
    4- females will have an ovipositor

• Like Like x 1
  7. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Ah right. I love the look of armoured crickets, weta and the predatory katydid. Just wish they lived longer.

8. KevinsWither

KevinsWither Arachnobaron

I do like them. Would say if cosmoderus breeding has been found, then the ground cricket would become very popular!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Insectopia

Insectopia Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

-
    I’ve heard of other species being bred but not Femoralis. Are you sure they aren’t WC? Usually nymphs for sale are.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

Oops, sorry. I recall a thread a bit ago where you mentioned you wanted a predatory/carnivorous cricket, and the discussion was talking king crickets.

I thought these guys may also pique your interest, although I suppose some context may have been nice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stardisk

Stardisk Arachnopeon

IT takes 9-10 months for the eggs to hatch, not everybody is patient enough or throws out old substrate without knowing there are eggs in it. I hope the breeder isn't ly
    ing, I guess time will tell :)

12. rantology

rantology Arachnopeon

NY
    Wow those look incredible! did you find them in the US or are you located in EU?

13. pannaking22

They're only really over in Europe right now unfortunately. Someday they'll probably make it to the states, but who knows when that will be.

14. Those look awesome! Would love to get some over here in the U.S sometime.
    Hope you have success with them!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like Like x 1
  15. sschind

sschind Arachnoknight Old Timer

I saw some at Tinley Park a year or maybe it was two years ago. Someone had a tank of about 20 of them they said they just bought.

16. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince

CT
    Just got a handful of these, so lucky their back in the hobby! Waited two years for this moment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pannaking22

Awww man, I wish I still lived in Illinois! Would have happily picked up a few of those if I knew they were there.

18. sschind

sschind Arachnoknight Old Timer

I don't think the guy who had them when I saw them was selling them. I think he just picked them up from someone else and I happened by his booth. I don't think the other guy, whoever it was, was selling them there either. I think he just brought some for the the other guy.

I'll keep am eye open this time around. Last year I got maybe an hour total to walk around the show. It was so busy and I almost completely sold out of everything I brought. I know who the person is who bought them so I'll ask if he had any luck with them.

• Like Like x 1