1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Arizona Reptile - Mesa, AZ

Discussion in 'Petstore Reviews' started by rwfoss, Jul 22, 2005.

1. rwfoss

rwfoss Arachnosquire Old Timer

Advertisement
    Positive

As the name states, they are primarily into various reptiles. They do have a nice selection of tarantulas and the occasional scorpion or two. The animals in their store have always appeared in good health, with nice set ups. The store always appears clean and bright. Prices are right where they should be. The staff there is always helpful, courteous, and knowledgable. If they don't know something, however, they don't try to fake it. Instead, they'll refer you to where you can get the help you need. :clap:

I have purchased two beautiful tarantulas there: B. smithi female (Mexican Red Knee) and L. parahybana juvenile (Salmon Pink Bird Eater).

Rick

2. BrettG

BrettG Arachnoprince

I never had a problem with this place. Most of the" cramped condition T's" are H.incei slings in 3oz deli's.Hardly cramped.This place honestly does not have any "pity purchase t's" either IMHO.A couple MM,sure,but hardly pity purchases compared to what we have seen at other local shops. H.lividum on woodchips ring a bell??I am in no way affiliated with this or any other shop in the Valley,but AzReptiles is hands down better off than 90% of an other local shops that are currently in business.Might as well write a bad review for the former Pets,Inc and Predators while you are at it.Both were/are pretty much horrible with T's.Overall,to actually give this a review,I get all my feeders here.Probably one of the cleanest shops in the Greater PHX Metro area,but prices can be iffy at times.And they actually knew what cork bark was,unlike another local shop:sarcasm:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. RosesRubella

RosesRubella Arachnopeon

Arizona
    This place has dwindled, I was a bit confused in the store trying to tie it to the stellar reviews. Overpriced T's in cramped conditions that made me want to pity purchase them, not to mention the sales guy was about as talkative as a rock. Can't say I know much about the reptiles, but they seemed to be better off.

I was informed that the original owner quit working the store, probably the reason for the decline in quality.

I don't know, the one that really did it for me was a larger Brachy in a cricket carrier with an inch of substrate. I feel so hypocritical about a review I just wrote for WildSide pets down in mesa having cramped conditions, but the real catch was their prices. That Brachy was severly over priced and huddled in a corner, not really flashing a 'buy me' vibe. The only marked MM when I was there was a good price, but that's not really say-able for the rest. Pets Inc. was horrible? Some rose-hairs were in tubs but I thought they were good overall.

IDK, maybe I came off a little harsh? Yeah, the place was clean, but even that was countered by the guy working there when I went. He basically went out of his way to ignore me when I was the only person in the store, even after I tried to start a conversation about their T's. And yes, they're better than my local PetCo, but that isn't really saying much.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  4. tdark1

tdark1 Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Negative

Negative

In the past (2-3 years ago) Arizona Reptile Center was one of the best stores in the Phoenix-MSA. However, this shop has dwindled down badly as of 3-4th quarter 2011 (and remains so to the date of this post). I have bought various feeders and dry items from them, the employees are always rude. In the past the store was spotless, now the store is hit or miss in terms of it being dirty and un-kept. AZ Reptile lost their longtime manager and it has become apparent. The one time I attempted to purchase a reptile from them recently, one of the employee's went to probe it and it was obvious he didn't know how to. I also had to wait about 10 minutes to get someones attention, even though I was the only customer in the store... That was my last dealing with their store!

P.S. - I have lived in the Phoenix area for the last 12 years and I have frequented the majority of the reptile store's in the Valley along with various wholesalers!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. philthyxphil

philthyxphil Arachnopeon

POSITIVE

I don't know about all the negatives in 2012, but I have purchased both my ball pythons and a Hapolopus sp. from them. All animals were in great condition and the prices were fair. Cleanest shop in the valley that I have been to, friendly employees that don't mind answering my frequent questions. They don't have the largest T selection, but if you're in the market for a snake or lizard, this is the place to go!