Arizona blonde vs Chilean Rose??

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I agree with you. I still don't have a G. rosea. Every time I see a female for sale, I pause and then think there is something else I would rather have instead. I love Aphonopelma, but do wish there was more LB females instead of so many WC specimens. It is also too bad that Eupalastrus campestratus are just as rare and expensive as E. Sp. Red for adult specimens.
Eupalaestrus campestratus sure makes a good beginner species as well. My female is as sweet as can be, rather timid even, but takes down feeders like a Gbb. I don't see them for sale much here either.

gobey

Arachnoknight
TRUE STORY
i knew a kid in 5th grade whose Aunt had dropped his hamster and it parished consequently. I didnt even remember that until now. Lol. But i have also heard about them having a nasty bite for your average pet rodents.
Honestly a mouse or rat is better for handling. Especially a rat.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
This is true. Rats and mice are communal animals while hamsters are solitary animals (like almost all tarantulas) that can't be kept together. I had a hamster when I was a kid. It bit the crap out of me multiple times. Then one day it got out of its cage and chewed a hole in the guest bathroom door. Needless to say there was nothing I could do to stop the one way ticket for that hamster to new owners.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Rats are by far my favorite small mammal pets. They are smart and can be very friendly, especially if handled regularly. (I've never been bitten by a rat.) However, they should be housed in pairs, as they do better with a companion.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Rats are by far my favorite small mammal pets. They are smart and can be very friendly, especially if handled regularly. (I've never been bitten by a rat.) However, they should be housed in pairs, as they do better with a companion.
Most reputable breeders here wont sell you a single rat i tripped out on this before i was more aware of the rats social behavior

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Most reputable breeders here wont sell you a single rat i tripped out on this before i was more aware of the rats social behavior
Same goes over here. I have kept rats for about seven or eight years. The people selling rats by themselves are either selling surplus feeders or people who just want to make quick money. They're also the reason why rats are so vulnerable to cancer, pneumonia, and have such short lifespans. Luckily there are several breeders in the Netherlands who are comitted to improve that by selective breeding.
Lol, sorry, didn't mean to rant.
Re: social behaviour. Even though rats can get very much attached to their humans, we can never replace another rat, despite of people stating otherwise. Besides, it is much more fun to see them interact with each other. My biggest group had 9 rats, and it was more entertaining than tv.
I stopped keeping them because of the heartache it gave me to lose them so soon after getting very attached to them everytime.

Gabrgrl

Arachnopeon
So i'm looking for a very docile tarantula that doesn't mind being held.(i know temperament is a hit or miss but) I've heard rose hairs can be moody and defensive and i've heard majority of Arizona blondes are really chill and sweet, even the wild caught. Id like opinions on which is better? I know tarantulas are more "look don't touch" pets.. but i really want to be able to handle mine.
I have both, but my blonde is still a sling. My rose hair is pretty skittish. We can hold her, but most the time opening the cage makes her run into her coconut. The blonde is cery docile. Not scared of anything.

So i'm looking for a very docile tarantula that doesn't mind being held.(i know temperament is a hit or miss but) I've heard rose hairs can be moody and defensive and i've heard majority of Arizona blondes are really chill and sweet, even the wild caught. Id like opinions on which is better? I know tarantulas are more "look don't touch" pets.. but i really want to be able to handle mine.
The only thing i wish i knew about blondes before i got mine is that theyre burrowers. I havent seen mine much lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
I keep porteri (often mislabled sold as rose hairs) and I wouldn't recommend them for a first time t owner. They can be quite the pet rock. Plus they fast for no reason, which often freaks out new owners. I love my fuzzballs. No idea how well porteri handle being held, because in all the years I have kept them, I haven't held them.

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
If you need a place to buy I would go with ken the big guy I have never had a problem with him and he passionately cares for his animals...... while the Chacolades is ok I started with a Rosie....she has never used a defensive posture against me and has only kicked hairs once( my mistake when I first got her I always tried to hold her) but you shouldn't hold a tarantula unless necessary

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess no one cares for Grammostola sp. "Concepcion", the very best first starter tarantula in the world.

Some of you have failed to mention depending on which locality of chalcodes would be a great starter. The Aphonopelma chalcodes "New River" would not be the best choice they are moody and have mood swings that is unpredictable. The Aphonopelma chalcodes "Arizona Blonde" is a better choice than the "New River" but overall the "Concepcion" is far the best beginner species in the world.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I guess no one cares for Grammostola sp. "Concepcion", the very best first starter tarantula in the world...
...overall the "Concepcion" is far the best beginner species in the world.
Hmm...I've never heard anyone recommend it on a starter T list, and I can't remember seeing it for sale, either. I'm guessing that the lack of availability is the reason why people aren't bringing it up. Thank you for the recommendation, though. If it becomes more available in the future, I'll keep it in mind.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm...I've never heard anyone recommend it on a starter T list, and I can't remember seeing it for sale, either. I'm guessing that the lack of availability is the reason why people aren't bringing it up. Thank you for the recommendation, though. If it becomes more available in the future, I'll keep it in mind.
They are up for sale and hobbyists over look this species.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have two Rosies that I like a lot. In all honesty, most of my tarantulas aren't real exciting, or much different from the rose hairs. I've had them for a few years, and have yet to see anything resembling aggression from either one. The biggest I have handled countless times (I know, I don't handle any these days), so I can say they are my most docile---or can tolerate handling the best. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed them when I was just starting out. Most people get their first tarantula from a petshop, and most pet shops only carry rosies and pinkies. Of those two I would definitely suggest a rose hair as a first.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They are up for sale and hobbyists over look this species.
In the interest of making it easier to find for people who might want to start with them, can you give us a link where they are available? I checked all my usual online breeders and couldn't find them. Thanks!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two Rosies that I like a lot. In all honesty, most of my tarantulas aren't real exciting, or much different from the rose hairs. I've had them for a few years, and have yet to see anything resembling aggression from either one. The biggest I have handled countless times (I know, I don't handle any these days), so I can say they are my most docile---or can tolerate handling the best. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed them when I was just starting out. Most people get their first tarantula from a petshop, and most pet shops only carry rosies and pinkies. Of those two I would definitely suggest a rose hair as a first.
Grammostola porteri aren't that defensive of how people make them to be. Sure they can bite like any other tarantulas, since I've dealt with all three species number #1 - Aphonopelma chalcodes "New River" is the least to get as a beginner species. Like I stated before this species has mood swings. Number #2 Grammostola porteri would be better than chalcodes, it's been years since I had a porteri try to bite. Number Grammostola sp. "Concepcion" far the best tarantula in the world as beginner species. Never had a threat pose or try to bite. Not that's is going to hurt you anyways that will make anyone go to mom and cry about it.

smitje

Arachnosquire
I love my Grammostola Pulchra, she hangs out on the couch with me and watches tv. :)