Arizona Bark Scorpions care

Viking62

Arachnopeon
I am getting so this week. I am a complete newbie. I understand that sand is best substrate. I will have a small group. What critters will build down waste? I would think Arizona animals would not want high humidity. I have crickets and am starting a colony of Dubia roaches. Do I need more choices?

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Get a fairly large cage, vertically oriented. Put around 2 cm of sand on the bottom, mixed with a small amount of coco-fiber (helps the sand hold shape and a little bit of moisture). Then, get some rocks and bark and put them around the enclosure. Vertically oriented bark is important so they can shed their skins.

Springtails/isopods/other decomposers don't really work in a desert setup. If you change out the substrate once a year that should be enough, they don't make much of a mess usually.

Yes, try to keep the humidity low to prevent mycosis. Under 30% is ideal.

Dubias work great, but I prefer red runners. If they are babies, they will not be able to eat small dubias but they can eat pinhead crickets or baby red runners.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Make sure you include lots of hiding places to decrease the chances of cannibalism if you're keeping them together.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Temps between mid 80s and mid 70s. They're more on the dry side as far as humidity but offer a shallow water dish. Vertical hides as well as a few on the ground they can slide under. Sand and eco earth substrate. Basically just try to mimic Arizonas geography and temps. They'll most likely take both dubia and crickets. Also take care to avoid getting stung from my understanding these are one of the more potent species from here in the U.S.

Viking62

Arachnopeon
I feel better. These are adults or close. I am getting a trio. I knew they have a nasty bite. I have red runner being shipped already. My dubia roaches are large adults. I hope they will start to produce soon. With the heat pad the humidity should stay low. They prefer wood for hides? I have several red ceramic caves or tubes.

I was not expecting such quick responses. When you do search you find more help to kill than keep.

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
Mine are afraid of dubias, I've only had luck feeding them crickets and and baby roaches. I do have some beetles living woth my scorpions that eat the wetter bits of mess, but I don't know what they're called. I just call them Waldos.

Viking62

Arachnopeon
I have scorpions now. I noticed that one of the females has a thicken body. Is it possible she is gravid? Are they to raise captive easily?