Argyroneta aquatica [Diving Bell Spider]

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the pic. Would you please share some pics of their set up, and some info about their care?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vid is great because it clearly shows how Argyroneta aquatica transports O2 to its "diving bell". Fantastic!
Talk about a spider filling a tough niche! :clap:

Truly would love to be able to keep this specie! ;)

Veith

Arachnopeon
hi,

i´ve heard that it´s better to keep them in a non-transparent bucket.
they won't live long in an aquarium

greetz karsten

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
That was the coolest spider vid I've ever seen! Thanks dude!

DJ_AlMighty_247

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the pic. Would you please share some pics of their set up, and some info about their care?

Here's the set up,

Just a simple glass bowl with water and a living waterplant. I keep it under a Floraset-lamp. Cleaning once a week (fresh water).

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's fantastic! How long have you had it? Do you just have the one?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great video, DJ. What is particularly interesting about the footage is the spider flicking it's abdomen through the surface, allowing more air to be accumulated over the hairs and then adding the air to the diving bell. Well shot too.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
super protected, last time i looked into it

maybe you could find other species that do the same

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Really? Seems these would be very interesting captives...good sized aquarium with cold water, plants, and aquatic bugs. It has a huge range and I find it unlikely it would be threatened or protected in all countries.

Shipping them could be a problem. They would probably need to be kept very cold to survive transit.(probably packed in wet moss). An eggsac might be a better option.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if they are from goofy little section of like England or something, than yeah, i think they are way protected

Have you seen giant predacious water bugs? toe biters. they would be SWEET to get culturing! my buddy got a few to hatch and up to like 3i i think. neat thing is the mom sticks the eggs to the male and *he* takes care of them

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Abedus herberti? I kept some briefly but the young are a bit tricky to raise. Wouldn't mind trying again.

This spider ranges from parts of North Africa, throughout the paleartic region in Europe to Japan.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i forget the species name. that genus name sounds right, though. i used to have pics but somehow lost them. almost 2" long. huge raptorial forelimbs

africa? oh boy, it's game on then, most likely!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would imagine a Japan or East Europe would be more likely though. They only exist in that narrow strip North of the Sahara...I don't recall many of the Northern countries exporting anything as of late.