Are you kidding me?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
But either way, I'm thoroughly annoyed at this shop. :/ Not going back and I'mma look for a new source of feeders.
Well, that is only making it more difficult on yourself.

Ah right. You're like the 1 smoker who had a gran live to 96 even though she smoked 60 a day ha ha ha ha. Just because your tarantulas got away with it doesn't mean the majority will.

If a cricket finds a tarantula moulting it's going to have a nibble. Your tarantulas got very lucky that's all.
Except the majority DO, or else we'd have newbies posting every day that their spider was eaten by crickets :rolleyes:

I am NOT saying that my personal experience represents the majority. But I am saying my personal experience echos the majority of how new keepers who haven't done their research keep their Ts.

basin79

ArachnoGod

Except the majority DO, or else we'd have newbies posting every day that their spider was eaten by crickets :rolleyes:

I am NOT saying that my personal experience represents the majority. But I am saying my personal experience echos the majority of how new keepers who haven't done their research keep their Ts.
And how many of these tarantulas of new keepers block themselves in a burrow and are out of harms way? Crickets will eat a defenceless tarantula just as they would a bit of fruit.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight

I found out they were selling me mealworms as superworms on top of this, though. I was feeding my fully grown 6" G. Porteri 4 ""superworms"" per feeding. Now that I have real superworms, she only needed two to have her fill.

And now that I have actual superworms, I have to get proper sized pupating containers and wait for months to have my beetles, and wait even longer to produce my superworms.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I found out they were selling me mealworms as superworms on top of this, though. I was feeding my fully grown 6" G. Porteri 4 ""superworms"" per feeding. Now that I have real superworms, she only needed two to have her fill.

And now that I have actual superworms, I have to get proper sized pupating containers and wait for months to have my beetles, and wait even longer to produce my superworms.
I am truly baffled by your apparent lack of thinking any of this is your responsibility to confirm what you are purchasing? Superworms ARE mealworms... they are ALL beetle larvae. Just different species of beetles.

And what in the heck is a "proper sized pupating container?" I keep my beetles and their larvae in an enclosure just like a terrestrial T...

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
I am truly baffled by your apparent lack of thinking any of this is your responsibility to confirm what you are purchasing? Superworms ARE mealworms... they are ALL beetle larvae. Just different species of beetles.

And what in the heck is a "proper sized pupating container?" I keep my b eetles and their larvae in an enclosure just like a terrestrial T...
Zophobas morio (superworms) and Tenebrio molitor (mealworms) are different species. I was paying for Z. Morio which is larger and more expensive. That's the difference. I'm not saying that it's not partially my fault here. I'm saying that I'm not buying from this store again now that I know better. It is my decision to support whichever establishment I want. And while yes, part of the blame was on me, but that doesn't give that particular store a pass. I should be able to go into a store, ask for Z. Morio, ask for confirmation that what I have is indeed Z. Morio, and walk out of the store as Z. Morio.

Z. Morio also pupate more readily in individual containers, based on everything I've read.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
A rehouse as soon as you get it home is always the best solution. You never really know what's in the substrate. Especially from a pet store.

After reading everything in the thread this seems kinda random now.... My bad.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
A rehouse as soon as you get it home is always the best solution. You never really know what's in the substrate. Especially from a pet store.

After reading everything in the thread this seems kinda random now.... My bad.
Ah, it's not random, tbf. I thought I could get away with not dumping her substrate and disturbing her too much, since she came in a larger container. Lesson learned.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Ah, it's not random, tbf. I thought I could get away with not dumping her substrate and disturbing her too much, since she came in a larger container. Lesson learned.
It's all good, everyone here has made mistakes, that's how we learn and get better and keep them from happening In the future : )

" Sounds like every year book knows to man"
Or what McDonald's employees say when they get your order wrong :D

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
How are superworms mealworms if they're different species? :confused:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
How are superworms mealworms if they're different species? :confused:
They are different species but both are still Darkling beetles I guess :meh: Anyways this sounds like a rant on a store we don't know and no advice is asked or given that would make any difference. Seems like a useless thread just like this comment of mine :rofl:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I would ignore @Teal you did the right thing removing live crickets from your slings enclosure. Not worth the risk at all.
Crickets are nasty things when they want to, they have no problem cannibalizing each other when one is moulting.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I’m just thankful we were able to find the species of tarantulas that we have in the hobby, sounds like most T’s will live a very short life in the wild with all of the blood thirsty crickets out there.
The wild is no place for a T

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
I’m just thankful we were able to find the species of tarantulas that we have in the hobby, sounds like most T’s will live a very short life in the wild with all of the blood thirsty crickets out there.
The wild is no place for a T
Ts aren't kept in small plastic Tupperware in the wild, and the vast majority of wild Ts don't make it to adulthood. Because they're eaten.

My bedroom isn't the wild, it's a place where I can minimize the risks to my animals to further minimize losses.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
And u did the right thing by removing huge crickets but T’s aren’t fragile creatures, they’ve survived for a long time without our help and they will continue to.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
And u did the right thing by removing huge crickets but T’s aren’t fragile creatures, they’ve survived for a long time without our help and they will continue to.
Exactly what @MintyWood826 said. If she wasn't in heavy premoult, I wouldn't have been miffed at all. But she is, and the crickets I pulled out were as large or larger than she was.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah you’re right they don’t have any safety mechanisms while molting
Why are you acting like such a Richard? Whether you or others choose to believe a moulting tarantula is perfectly safe with crickets is a moot point. Moulting tarantulas have been killed by crickets so not having them running around their enclosure for extended periods of time is commonsense.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I never said it wasn’t common sense.
I find it funny that people think spiders can’t take care of themselves like they’re helpless creatures.
They’ve survived this long, I think they’re ok

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I never said it wasn’t common sense.
I find it funny that people think spiders can’t take care of themselves like they’re helpless creatures.
They’ve survived this long, I think they’re ok
They aren't helpless, but there's a reason sacs often have hundreds of slings each.