Are you as bothered about this as much as I am

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And how is your brilliant post any different?
:? :? :?

Ive already said what I needed to say in this thread about hybrids and what not. Though not scientific or fact based, but opinionated, but I said that because someone has to tell him something. HIs comments are completely unneccessary. Yes Crotalus, I agree the last thing I posted was of no use to this thread as well, but you have to agree his are even worse. I'm done.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most hybrids are sterile.

Give us some references to this please.
If not people might think its just your own opinion. The +7 lettering dont make it more true.

I gave you some herptile examples and Im sure I can dig up more. Why would tarantulas be so special that fertile hybrids absolutely not can occur in this group of animals?

Again, alot of animals can produce fertile hybrid offspring. Some cant. Are you 100% certain that all 890 species of tarantula dont produce fertile hybrids? I doubt that.
The few tests that been made in the area dont prove a thing or disprove anything.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Give us some references to this please.
If not people might think its just your own opinion. The +7 lettering dont make it more true.

I gave you some herptile examples and Im sure I can dig up more. Why would tarantulas be so special that fertile hybrids absolutely not can occur in this group of animals?

Again, alot of animals can produce fertile hybrid offspring. Some cant. Are you 100% certain that all 890 species of tarantula dont produce fertile hybrids? I doubt that.
The few tests that been made in the area dont prove a thing or disprove anything.
Please read my later posts all the way through. This has already been dealt with, I have admitted that I was unfamiliar with the concept of vialbe hybrids several times after that initial post. I even went back and updated my earlier post.

Either way, if all hybrids were sterile my posts would not only be much shorter but of a different persuasion.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Genetic Viability vs "Breedability"

There's actually another part to this discussion... the 'breedability' or compatability of the Male and Female...

It's not actually as simple to cross-breed animals as people may think. Sperm has to actually get into the egg, and there's stacks of evidence (some work on it coming from my lab at the Ottawa Health Research Institute) to suggest that there is a highly species-specific interaction between the sperm and the egg in the process of fertilization (particularly tunneling through the zona pellucida and getting at the egg, and then getting through the egg cell membrane).

And it's not Genus specific... we're talking true species dependancy.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm gonna crossbreed a B smithi with a scorpion (havent decided which sp yet). I think I'll call it a scorpula;P :D