Are water dishes really necessary?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
maybe increase the amout of hides she has so she feels less inclined to climb and tumble from the ceiling of the enclosure. maybe a water dish would benefit to catch her when she lands :D

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Thanks!!

I'm thinking how to fill that space but keeping them safe. The pulchra loves falling from the heighs...

With this crystal enclosures she only can climb the vertical glasses, so she can't stay hanging from the top like in the other enclosures.

Here trying to destroy the mesh: View attachment 288600
The mesh top is a red flag. Best way to solve fall issue is by adding way more substrate.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
maybe increase the amout of hides she has so she feels less inclined to climb and tumble from the ceiling of the enclosure. maybe a water dish would benefit to catch her when she lands :D
Touché hahahahahaha

The mesh top is a red flag. Best way to solve fall issue is by adding way more substrate.
I changed to this new all glass enclosure for that reason.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Just like to comment that a dripper or a syringe you would use to give kids medicine is a different way to apply water inside of the enclosure without disturbing what is inside there. More for slings and small enclosures.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The whole point was after watching his video I felt better about taking mine out. An to be honest spraying the tanks down every couple days has been easier then digging up water dishes or having to clean out crap an bolus water just as often maybe if I only had a few but I have over 20 Ts and counting
Does your T NEED a dish- truthfully that depends on the type of owner you are to some extent, experience level, and your attention to detail. Honestly it sounds like you don't have the time, or keep animals based on your convenience level, and not what is best for them. Perhaps you should stop collecting Ts like Skittles.

I can tell you if you rely misting one or many of your Ts will likely be under hydrated. Even a FAT T that hasn't eaten in over 18 months will drink water from a bowl. I know, I have a T like this.

Also, misting-- useless, when is your T thirsty- are you able to know for this certain- no you aren't. The mist evaporates in minutes, your T is thirsty hours later, and has nothing to drink. Not good at all.

From your posts, you are either too lazy, or too busy to care for that many animals. Either do it right, or downsize to one maybe and do it right.

There’s a lot of things that he does that I disagree with
Such as?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
@viper69 I understand where you are coming from with the potential of laziness, but honestly I started my collection with just 4 slings and 1 adult T. They continually burried them and even these 5 were driving me insane after 3 weeks of the same daily routine. I absolutely love checking the enclosures and have no issues caring for my now 56 inverts, but constant, repetitive unnecessary routine will drive the best of us to breaking point sometimes

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They continually burried them and even these 5 were driving me insane after 3 weeks of the same daily routine.
Well this is a 1st world problem of your own creation in the sense that you knew what you were getting into. SO, you didn't like it back them, then you were just crazy to keep getting more IMO. ;) Zero understanding or sympathy here.:D

I raise GBBs. I love their webbing. I don't like how they web up their water bowls- oh well tough crap for me. I'm not here looking to complain about it, nor looking for validation from another to defend my actions. ;)

You are looking at this the wrong way.

but constant, repetitive unnecessary routine
Unnecessary...to who..YOU? Your thoughts on this aren't relevant. We are speaking about a living animal with certain behaviors. Clearly they are necessary behaviors, though no one actually knows why they do it in captivity.

When you own pets, it's not about you, it's about them. Until one sees that, one is lost.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Well this is a 1st world problem of your own creation in the sense that you knew what you were getting into. SO, you didn't like it back them, then you were just crazy to keep getting more IMO. ;)

Unnecessary...to who..YOU? Your thoughts on this aren't relevant. We are speaking about a living animal with certain behaviors. Clearly they are necessary behaviors, though no one actually knows why they do it in captivity.

When you own pets, it's not about you, it's about them. Until one sees that, one is lost.
I neglected to mention that they were happily drinking from pools of water on their webbing. Also, i assumed that they were trying to remove the source of water in the dish so I did what I thought was their in interest as well. The absolute base question this thread is asking is are they necessary, which is no. Not necessary, but highly recommended by a large number of owners. If one personally feels that their T will not benefit from the addition of a dish which I felt mine clearly didn't, then they have every right to do so without backlash from the community telling them their T will die

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I neglected to mention that they were happily drinking from pools of water on their webbing.
Then why are you asking about bowls of water, if they are drinking well? :watchingyou:

Also, pools of water are transient.

Now not all Ts will drink from bowls of water - or do so sporadically, so you have to wet the webbing. Avics do this often.

Eh, it's the way you put the question that some may take issue with..If you had asked if they need standing water due to some biological need-- that's a fair question.

However, you presented all the crap you hate dealing with as the reason you don't want to provide a bowl of water, and cited another T owner as a source of validation--- the info in your question makes you look lazy to be honest, or uncaring of your animals, or both.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Then why are you asking about bowls of water, if they are drinking well? :watchingyou:

Also, pools of water are transient.

Now not all Ts will drink from bowls of water - or do so sporadically, so you have to wet the webbing. Avics do this often.

Eh, it's the way you put the question that some may take issue with..If you had asked if they need standing water due to some biological need-- that's a fair question.

However, you presented all the crap you hate dealing with as the reason you don't want to provide a bowl of water, and cited another T owner as a source of validation--- the info in your question makes you look lazy to be honest, or uncaring of your animals, or both.
No problem. But not gonna lie it's a mixture of laziness on my part and what I felt the T's wanted. I still wouldn't view myself as a bad keeper, they are all fed regularly and I use soaked spagnum moss as a new source of water which even my true spiders seem to be digging. My relating to another user was just saying I wouldn't call him a bad keeper just cause he doesn't like emptying 20 water dishes a day.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I use them whenever possible, but just because that means much less maintenance. I have no dish in with slings in condiment cups, and in any juvenile or adult that webs over a dish. There’s no point if the dish is constantly buried and webbed over. I’ve been keeping t’s for years and never had any problem with not using a dish.