Are Tupperware containers suitable housing for Adult Brachypelma albopilosum (curly hair)

Krakenwagen

Arachnopeon
Hi, I’m a beginner with T’s and I’m looking to get my first tarantula and I’ve got my eyes on the curly hair as it’s supposedly good for beginners. However I’m struggling to find an affordable housing for it, I’ve seen people using Tupperware and the like but I’m wondering if that’s okay for housing a tarantula? Because if so I’d like to use a large Tupperware container (with some DIY of course).

Thanks

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The answer is yes, Tupperware or similar containers are great housing options for tarantulas.

You will need to consider the size of the tarantula when choosing the size of container. You don't want it to be too tall as there is a risk of harm if the tarantula climbs the sides and falls.

Krakenwagen

Arachnopeon
According to the shop I’m buying the curly hair from the leg span is 15cm. What size would you suggest then?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
If it's that size you're probably looking for a container that's approximately 30x30x15-20cm. Height is less important. You'll want to fill the container 2/3's of the way up with substrate so that it has burrowing space

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Personally, I wouldn't use Tupperware (unless there's a new design I'm not aware of ;)). I have my bigger terrestrial Ts in RUBs (Really Useful Boxes), I just like the lids better with those really secure handles They also come in really handy when you want to open just one side of the enclosure (to change the water dish, etc.), they kinda slide to the side with no room for your T to escape. ;)
And you can choose from a whole range of sizes.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Id never use tupperware.

The best sling housing is basically free....condiment cup 1" or less....
16oz deli cup from 1-3".
Somehow, I don't think a 5" B. albo qualifies as a sling. :angelic:
According to the shop I’m buying the curly hair from the leg span is 15cm. What size would you suggest then?
;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Far left houses my subadult female B. albopilosum.

Edit: These are a brand called Hobby Life (you can get them from The Plastic Box Shop if you're based in the UK), I actually prefer these to RUBs as they come in a better variety of sizes and are slightly more clear.

65781183_2782984308381657_3292554661059362816_n.jpg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
RUBs far superior over Tupperware

Before you buy your T find out what else you’ll need. If you can’t afford housing common containers, don’t get the animal yet.

rosannaherrera

Arachnopeon
Id never use tupperware.

The best sling housing is basically free....condiment cup 1" or less....
16oz deli cup from 1-3".
Hello. I'm new to the hobby and noticed your profile on many of these posts. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on the subject. I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I'm going to receive 3 slings from Fear Not tomorrow. The problem I am having is that the enclosures I have now are way too big. I purchased new enclosures and will receive them at the end of the week. Is it ok to house them temporarily in the bigger enclosures and rehouse them again once the others come in? Of course I will have to slightly modify the larger ones. Will that cause too much stress for the Ts? Normally I would place them in plastic containers, but the ones I ordered are acrylic and will be displayed. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

cold blood

Staff member
Hello. I'm new to the hobby and noticed your profile on many of these posts. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on the subject. I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I'm going to receive 3 slings from Fear Not tomorrow. The problem I am having is that the enclosures I have now are way too big. I purchased new enclosures and will receive them at the end of the week. Is it ok to house them temporarily in the bigger enclosures and rehouse them again once the others come in? Of course I will have to slightly modify the larger ones. Will that cause too much stress for the Ts? Normally I would place them in plastic containers, but the ones I ordered are acrylic and will be displayed. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Just go to a restaurant and grab condiment cups.....readily available and often free.

But no, re housing isnt something to worry about.