Are these good first tarantulas?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
For only two slings, i would probably just buy 2-4 crickets at a time once every week or two from a local pet store, or the smallest possible container of mealworms as they last a long time. (i'm guessing your mom probably doesn't want roaches in the house)

Have you mentioned to her that they only need to eat once every week or two? Unless you live WAY far away from 'civilization' i am guessing that somebody from home goes to town at least that often for work, gas, or groceries... And an EXPENSIVE cricket (pet store price) is still only about 10-15 cents each (once a week times 52 weeks a year times two tatantulas is MAYBE 15 dollars per year).

If the trips to the petstore are still to much to handle, you best bet is deffinitely mealworms. Mealworms Are MUCH easier to keep than crickets are, and they tend to be WAY cheaper per each but i think you have to buy 100+ at a time (a years worth) so unless uou start a colony (2-3 cubic feet and a $10 container) most of them might pupate and become unusable as T food before you use them. However i have also heard that they can be refrigerated for long periods to prevent that happening as fast (again though, i question mom's willingness to allow bugs in the fridge)

Good luck with convincing her! If it will help, you can post all of her questions, doubts, or concerns into this thread and i am sure that we can address most or all of them for her. Then she won't just be taking your word for it.

And as for the transporting of them 20 hours in the car, i would play it safe and just delay purchase by a couple weeks (or however long till you are back home). Not worth the extra risk and stress.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
For only two slings, i would probably just buy 2-4 crickets at a time once every week or two from a local pet store, or the smallest possible container of mealworms as they last a long time. (i'm guessing your mom probably doesn't want roaches in the house)

Have you mentioned to her that they only need to eat once every week or two? Unless you live WAY far away from 'civilization' i am guessing that somebody from home goes to town at least that often for work, gas, or groceries... And an EXPENSIVE cricket (pet store price) is still only about 10-15 cents each (once a week times 52 weeks a year times two tatantulas is MAYBE 15 dollars per year).

If the trips to the petstore are still to much to handle, you best bet is deffinitely mealworms. Mealworms Are MUCH easier to keep than crickets are, and they tend to be WAY cheaper per each but i think you have to buy 100+ at a time (a years worth) so unless uou start a colony (2-3 cubic feet and a $10 container) most of them might pupate and become unusable as T food before you use them. However i have also heard that they can be refrigerated for long periods to prevent that happening as fast (again though, i question mom's willingness to allow bugs in the fridge)

Good luck with convincing her! If it will help, you can post all of her questions, doubts, or concerns into this thread and i am sure that we can address most or all of them for her. Then she won't just be taking your word for it.

And as for the transporting of them 20 hours in the car, i would play it safe and just delay purchase by a couple weeks (or however long till you are back home). Not worth the extra risk and stress.
Yeah I'm going to wait to buy until I get back. My mom keeps saying things about space even though tiny deli cups don't take up much space. And they're going to be in my room! :banghead: I know they are going to grow eventually but the ones I'm getting are slow so it'll be fine by then.

I didn't think about how little slings would eat a week. I'll have to go the pet store to see about crickets and mealworms. I don't know if I can get just a couple or that much about what feeder insects they have. My mom and I saw big cockroaches there though. She definitely doesn't want those! :)

Theneil

Arachnoprince
You: "Hey mom, is it okay if i buy an encyclopedia set for my room?"

Mom: Yes, of course! Are you sure you want an encyclpedia set?!?!

You: Nah, just wanted to make sure there was room, i want some tarantulas.

You're welcome. :p

Most the big name pet stores will sell individual crickets or a small deli cup size container of mealworms.

cold blood

Staff member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron

You're welcome. :p

Most the big name pet stores will sell individual crickets or a small deli cup size container of mealworms.
That's hilarious! It's giving me some ideas... like having room for a box! My mom loves boxes and even better, getting those shelves I've been wanting.

So about mealworms, I went to the pet store today. Inside one of the containers there were a bunch of skins on top and two that looked dead. Is that normal? I think it was old though. The overall quality of their feeders didn't look very good. I might buy online or see what petsmart has.

There was a juvenile (I think) A. avicularia that I would've asked my mom to buy but I didn't have something to use as an enclosure. It had like nothing to climb and had made a web connected to the corners of the walls and since it hasn't been bought for so long maybe I'll be able to buy it sometime and have it as my first t and wait on the rest.

I wouldn't be so worried about leaving a juvenile when I leave unless they can't be left that long? I wouldn't be okay with leaving slings alone 2 weeks but I think an older t would be fine.

cold blood

Staff member
So about mealworms, I went to the pet store today. Inside one of the containers there were a bunch of skins on top and two that looked dead. Is that normal? I think it was old though. The overall quality of their feeders didn't look very good. I might buy online or see what petsmart has.
Yes, normal...skins are just a result of growth...just pick out dead ones. Before refrigerating them you can just add a piece of carrot and a few days later refrigerate them.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Just in case I end up rescuing the Avic, I know how to set up the enclosures but what are the dimensions for a 2"+ spider? I couldn't clearly see the size as it had pulled its legs up to itself.

And is this premolt with sealing itself in a silk tube? 20180619_1731311.jpg 20180619_1732201.jpg

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Can't tell for sure in the pic but looks like it could be. I'd say 3x leg span in each direction is probably okay but you might even want to skip to adult enclosure size, especially if it does molt. I think A. avicularia tops out around 5" (My mature male is only MAYBE 4) and if well set up a 2-3 inch specimen will do fine in a slightly 'oversized' enclosure, it will just be a little easier for it to hide from you is all.

If you do get it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to post pics of your enclosure for critique when it is set up, just in case. If it hasn't already been stated in this thread, almost every " care sheet" for these guys is a recipe for dead T.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I'm trying to clean up a little and then stick some stuff into a box to show my mom there's space. I'm planning to turn it on its side and use that for the Avic's enclosure if things work out.

She thinks it'll escape and bite. I'm trying to tell her it's docile and not that venomous. Adding a mini door might help so it can't escape as easily when I open the enclosure.

I didn't even have Avics on my original list! Now that one has taken over the thread. :eek: I blame it on bad pet stores and vacations.

If I knew someone who owned docile t's it would be nice to show that they aren't monsters and don't need as much work or time as she seems to think.

Last edited:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
@cold blood you've said you use driftwood for your arboreals. Do you have to do anything to it before putting it in to make sure there aren't bugs on it or anything? I want to use bark from my yard since the the pet store's is way overpriced.

cold blood

Staff member
The likelihood of finding usable wood in your yard is low. Most wood isn't usable...which is why I use primarily drift wood...I can trust driftwood.

I bake wood...but not to get rid of pests, I really don't care about that....I bake it to remove as much moisture as possible. Moisture retention s the biggest enemy.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
The likelihood of finding usable wood in your yard is low. Most wood isn't usable...which is why I use primarily drift wood...I can trust driftwood.

I bake wood...but not to get rid of pests, I really don't care about that....I bake it to remove as much moisture as possible. Moisture retention s the biggest enemy.
What makes wood usable?

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I may be in the minority here but my H. Columbia Lg. Isnt bolty at all. They definitely are fast by if you give them enough space I think you would be ok. They are a awesome T and arent defensive at all. Really all those choices would be fine, especially if you get them at all small size. Just do your research and ask questions on Arachnoboards if you have problems. Shipping is super expensive so I would definitely understand why you would want to get your moneys worth.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
B. albo and G. pulchripes are two of the best choices.

GBB and the genic are workable alternatives.

I would not suggest the pumpkin patch though...fast, prone to bolting/escapes, and fast....lol.
B. albopilosum and G. pulchripes are two of the best readily available starter species you can get IMO.

A. geniculata and C. cyaneopubescens are workable alternatives but I feel they make better 2nd/3rd tarantulas tbh (again, just my opinion).

I wouldn't recommend the H. sp. 'Colombia' as a first T due to their speed and proclivity for bolting.

Uhm... :writer: <-- couldn't find a best workable alternative 'Smilies' for bolting here.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Uhm... :writer: <-- couldn't find a best workable alternative 'Smilies' for bolting here.
:turtle: <--- That right there is a fast emoji. Blink and you won't see it 'cuz it'll bolt right off your screen. It's what I'll use to describe anything that moves faster than me lol.

:troll:

My current sling list:
- A. geniculata
- B. albopilosum
- Avic Avic

(the G. pulchripes are out of stock)

Tearsacid

Arachnopeon
Have you thought about buying a bit of a larger tarantula for your very 1st? Slings can be trickier to feed & less forgiving than mid sized T's for sure. They're prone to dry out if you happen to forget about them. If you're unable to readily find the right sized feeders & your mom isn't okay with a big box of breeding insects in your room, then slings might not be the best starters. You may end up discouraged if they die & thats never a good thing. Your mom would be a lot less inclined to get you more if this happens or if you have start with breeding breeding bugs in her home. Lol

I'd wait & find yourself a decent sized T that can take down the size of crickets that you can readily grab at your local pet shop. Then show your mom how informed & ready you are. Warm her up to how manageable T's are & I'd bet she'd be cool with you having more. Learn & get setup for slings during that time. I'm sure you'll have a shelf of slings in no time. :cool:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
B. albo and G. pulchripes are two of the best choices.

GBB and the genic are workable alternatives.

I would not suggest the pumpkin patch though...fast, prone to bolting/escapes, and fast....lol.
+ 1 I got fast Ts too early. Brachys were my favorites due to colors. When I started out.
I had adult G rosea, before I got slings it’s outlived most of my first slings .