1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these enough holes?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Yaylor, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Yaylor

Yaylor Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Is this enough holes for a sling?
    I appreciate the feedback thank you!.

Attached Files:

2. JPG

JPG Arachnopeon Active Member

Canada
    I personally put more holes than that, depends on how moist/dry you want to keep your substrate.
    The reason I put more on mine is because it started growing little bit of mold.

3. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoprince Active Member

What species is that?

Personally, I'd rehouse it in a 2oz deli cup or something similar sized. I don't like these dram vials for terrestrial slings (assuming it is a terrestrial sling), too much height, too little space to operate.
    With a deli cup I make a row of holes (made with a safety pin) around the side and a few around the lid.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, pretty important info to know isn't it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yaylor

Yaylor Arachnopeon

I got 3 different species in these similar vials
    B. Albopilosum
    N. Chromatus
    H. Sp. Columbia lrg

6. MBArachnids

MBArachnids Arachnosquire

As mentioned, I would move them to a deli cup setup. This is just my personal choice as I know a few people keep their terrestrial slings in vials with no problems. The deli cup just seems more fitting considering how it is designed compared to the vials that are elongated and would suit a arboreal nicely.

I actually keep my H Gigas sling in a vial but the vial is a little bigger and topped with sub, the little guy eventually dug all the way to the bottom and then dug another tunnel to the surface, amazing how these tiny slings can move ground.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

Better with a deli cup for the b albo and n chromatus and I’ve never had H sp Columbia so don’t know about that one.

The H Gigas is a natural fossorial species they will dig all through there life’s so a vertical oriented enclosure is okay for them

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2019
  8. MBArachnids

Oh yea I know that lol, I wasn't really trying to use it as an example I was kind of bragging that my little guy has dug a hole up and down that spans about 15 times his size.

My adult H Gigas has actually gone for a few swims in her enclosure as I find her in the little "pool" quite often. I have also seen footage of them going fully submerged.

• Like Like x 2
  9. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnobaron Active Member

I would move the B. albo and the chromatus into deli cups. My H. sp Columbia has been the only sling I kept in a vial that size through one molt because she was so tiny she would have been lost even in a 2 oz. cup. I had a lot more holes than that in the lid though.

10. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

I prefer to use these for most terrestrial slings, the H. gigas would be fine in a vial though (although, if I remember correctly, I put mine straight into a 12oz deli because they're fast growers with a proclivity for extensive burrowing).

sling enclosure1.JPG

11. MBArachnids

Out of curiosity, what is the scientific name or common name for the plant matter in the picture? We have something similar here I am just curious to see if i can find what you are using.

On that topic of plant matter, what do you think of dried leaves in a enclosure?

12. The Grym Reaper

Sphagnum moss.

I know people do it and don't have any problems but I don't use stuff from outside tbh, I live in a town that has plenty of woodland areas but there are farms everywhere here and I have no idea what crap they spray on their crops so I'd rather not risk it.

13. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnopeon Active Member

UK
    What do you do for drinking water?

14. The Grym Reaper

I just moisten the moss by pipetting a few drops of water onto it, they can suck the water out of that if they have to but they get most of their water from their food.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yaylor

Yaylor Arachnopeon

My cats got a thing for those condiment cups,
    These vials she leaves alone.
    Once she sees me holding a condiment cup though she comes running.
    These vials measure (1”x2 5/8”) I figured since the T.s are 1/4 they'd be fine cause they have 1in roaming space 4x there size.
    I’ve read rule of thumb for these terrestrial type is to have the tank x2 1/2 the size of the tarantulas.
    What do you y’all think?

16. CommanderBacon

CommanderBacon Arachnosquire Active Member

I only like to keep fossorial Ts in the vials. I would defer to @The Grym Reaper and others on this thread re: the deli cups. They'll be okay, but not great, and the ventilation you've poked is large enough that a 1/4" sling might escape imo.

If your cat will get into them, perhaps put them inside of a larger container with good ventilation and put it out of reach of your cat. I keep my sling cabinet very high up and out of reach of kitty paws just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yaylor

Yaylor Arachnopeon

Thank you everyone for your feedback I appreciate all the input