1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are theraphosa stirmi a pet hole

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Stevek18, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Stevek18

Stevek18 Arachnopeon

Uk
    Advertisement
    I've been toying at the idea of getting a stirmi for ages but I hear different things. Do stirmi actually adventure out and about or do they literally sit in their hides and never move. Currently got a 6" ish lp and shes always wondering around.

2. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon Active Member

Every pet hole comes out every now and again, My T blondi is always out his hide but he soon bolts back in when I ,move the enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stevek18

Stevek18 Arachnopeon

Uk
    I know they adventure every now and again but is that like months inbetween or days ? I know it sounds kinda stupid but I dont wanna spend £130+ on an expensive hide

4. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon Active Member

I do not have an adult Theraphosa so I can't answer your question, why don't you get a T that you know will be out most of the time?

5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

My juvie female uses her hide a lot but is out pretty often

6. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Not got a stirmi but my blondi lass comes out at night. Runs straight back to her hide if I disturb her though. Doesn’t bother me a jot. All 3 are massive beautiful tarantulas.

7. basin79

Out of the tarantulas I own these are the ones that are out nigh on all of the time.

Brachypelma hamorii
    Grammostola iheringi
    Grammostola pulchra
    Pamphobeteus sp costa.

Just got a little Brachypelma emilia so she might carry on staying out too. Of course I'm sore you'll get some of the above that are pet holes too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    My AF T stirmi is out of her hide, daily.

9. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight

Indiana
    AF stirmi is out 95% of the time. Juvenile female is out 90% of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BarbaraStreetBaby

BarbaraStreetBaby Arachnopeon

I have had my 8 inch female t stirmi for almost a year. When i got her last spring she was maybe 5 inches, but since day one she is always out and about unless in premolt or post molt but regularly she is not too far from her hide, when disturbed she bolts back into her hide.

11. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

Not pet holes, do they hide from time to time? Yes.

Smaller specimens tend to be a little more nervous, they usually just sit at the mouth of their burrows...whereas adults will stay out much more and sometimes abandon their hides completely.

12. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnodemon Active Member

My T. stirmi almost never used her hide until about 2 weeks ago. now she only comes out to grab a dubia then goes right back in. But mine has always been a bit wacky, so I hoping this just a passing phase.

13. BarbaraStreetBaby

14. BarbaraStreetBaby

Or how long have you had it/ how big is he/she??

15. BenWilly

BenWilly Arachnosquire

Mine aint. I have one that burrowed out its half buried hide and stays half in it, but my other two stay out all the time instead they both burrowed but rarely stay in it. Sizes are 3" , 5" and about 9"

16. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnodemon Active Member

I got her last spring at about 5 - 6 inches, she's now about 8 - 9 inches.

17. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Mine never comes out. Why are all my Ts broken?:hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. basin79

Ever thought you're the problem? They're obviously avoiding you...............

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Except it is usually the opposite... my baboons are all out in the open, calm, never throw threat displays, etc. I guess they aren't intimidated by me :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. basin79

Tarantulas are individuals. Whilst you may have an idea how they "should" behave you're rolling a dice.