Are theraphosa stirmi a pet hole

Stevek18

Arachnopeon
I've been toying at the idea of getting a stirmi for ages but I hear different things. Do stirmi actually adventure out and about or do they literally sit in their hides and never move. Currently got a 6" ish lp and shes always wondering around.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Every pet hole comes out every now and again, My T blondi is always out his hide but he soon bolts back in when I ,move the enclosure.

Stevek18

Arachnopeon
Every pet hole comes out every now and again, My T blondi is always out his hide but he soon bolts back in when I ,move the enclosure.
I know they adventure every now and again but is that like months inbetween or days ? I know it sounds kinda stupid but I dont wanna spend £130+ on an expensive hide

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I know they adventure every now and again but is that like months inbetween or days ? I know it sounds kinda stupid but I dont wanna spend £130+ on an expensive hide
I do not have an adult Theraphosa so I can't answer your question, why don't you get a T that you know will be out most of the time?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not got a stirmi but my blondi lass comes out at night. Runs straight back to her hide if I disturb her though. Doesn’t bother me a jot. All 3 are massive beautiful tarantulas.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Out of the tarantulas I own these are the ones that are out nigh on all of the time.

Brachypelma hamorii
Grammostola iheringi
Grammostola pulchra
Pamphobeteus sp costa.

Just got a little Brachypelma emilia so she might carry on staying out too. Of course I'm sore you'll get some of the above that are pet holes too.

BarbaraStreetBaby

Arachnopeon
I've been toying at the idea of getting a stirmi for ages but I hear different things. Do stirmi actually adventure out and about or do they literally sit in their hides and never move. Currently got a 6" ish lp and shes always wondering around.
I have had my 8 inch female t stirmi for almost a year. When i got her last spring she was maybe 5 inches, but since day one she is always out and about unless in premolt or post molt but regularly she is not too far from her hide, when disturbed she bolts back into her hide.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Not pet holes, do they hide from time to time? Yes.

Smaller specimens tend to be a little more nervous, they usually just sit at the mouth of their burrows...whereas adults will stay out much more and sometimes abandon their hides completely.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My T. stirmi almost never used her hide until about 2 weeks ago. now she only comes out to grab a dubia then goes right back in. But mine has always been a bit wacky, so I hoping this just a passing phase.

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
Mine aint. I have one that burrowed out its half buried hide and stays half in it, but my other two stay out all the time instead they both burrowed but rarely stay in it. Sizes are 3" , 5" and about 9"

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ever thought you're the problem? They're obviously avoiding you...............
Except it is usually the opposite... my baboons are all out in the open, calm, never throw threat displays, etc. I guess they aren't intimidated by me :p

basin79

ArachnoGod
Except it is usually the opposite... my baboons are all out in the open, calm, never throw threat displays, etc. I guess they aren't intimidated by me :p
Tarantulas are individuals. Whilst you may have an idea how they "should" behave you're rolling a dice.