are their any other species that are climbers...... (and another question)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Paul,

Interesting. Have you done a literature search or anything on the species? It seems to me that your observations are worth some serious investigation. Anyhow, please keep me up to date on their progress. Are they all mature?

Cheers,
Dave

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Paul,

Interesting. Have you done a literature search or anything on the species? It seems to me that your observations are worth some serious investigation. Anyhow, please keep me up to date on their progress. Are they all mature?

Cheers,
Dave
Hi Dave,

No I haven't, not scientific literature at any rate. I don't have the references, plus my finances are a bit tied up or I'd be ordering publication copies from the library. I have tons of learning to do!! From what I last heard, they're not technically H. paucidens, but should be called Hadogenes species, Tanzania (paucidens?), or something like that.

the three I have range in size from 5 and a half inches to nearly 7 inches, and that is including tail, and arm/pincher length. The mesosomas (bodies) range from 2 to 3 inches in size, the chela are an inch +, and the tails range from an inch and a half to around 2 inches. I thought they were all three gravid, and judging by the tail length and shape/structure, they're all female. What I thought may be signs of being gravid, them being quite plump, could actually be oncoming molts, since the pleural membranes are rather dark in coloration. I'm not sure if this size is considered mature or not, but I have a feeling they may get larger than this. What do you think? Gravid or coming up on a molt? I can post pictures of individuals if that would help you to form an opinion?

I've also noted that they are less tolerant of my handling since being in this large enclosure. If they're up on the boards or the bamboo, etc. and I attempt to pick them up, they'll pinch, and if I persist, they'll move around to the bottomside of the wood, hang upside down, and if need be, deliberately "jump" by dropping from the wood to the substrate.

I do see them get into the occasional confrontation, but these end without major incident. They are often out during the day as if they are diurnal, but I haven't observed them during the night as much as I have during the day.

I don't have much to offer in the area of observation, other than the above. I do appreciate the comment, and I'll post anything new I notice regarding them!

Best wishes!

Paul