Are the commonly used vivariums too small?

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon
I'm asking because I have a Tegenaria domestica in an 11"x 6.5"x 8" box. This is a small box but the spider is also very small. It has webbed up the entire thing (with areas of less dense web of course) in a week. So if such a small spider (not even an inch) can do this, then surely a spider maybe 10 times it's length would need a proportionally large vivarium. I've seen for large spiders ten gallon tanks recommended with dimensions of 20" x 10" x 12", but wouldn't a such a spider need (or maybe thrive better in) a larger vivarium?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This is actually one of the "most controversial" discussions when it comes to most invert keepers. Because most keepers are skeptical about there standards of vivariums or enclosure sizes. The thing is, people always lean one way and not the other. Meaning people don't really try anything different because they do not want to be criticize on how they keep their collection, So they all depend on one experience collector for an answer (not a bad idea but makes standards to stiff IMO). I personally lean every way to try and discover new and expand my experiences (even crazy ones). I think more room wouldn't be too bad, try and experience yourself. ;)

CloseLeech

Arachnopeon
This is actually one of the "most controversial" discussions when it comes to most invert keepers. Because most keepers are skeptical about there standards of vivariums or enclosure sizes. The thing is, people always lean one way and not the other. Meaning people don't really try anything different because they do not want to be criticize on how they keep their collection, So they all depend on one experience collector for an answer (not a bad idea but makes standards to stiff IMO). I personally lean every way to try and discover new and expand my experiences (even crazy ones). I think more room wouldn't be too bad, try and experience yourself. ;)
I agree with Liquifin, No one really experiments with vivarium sizes (and I would love to see reports on this) But spiders have different requirements. Some have a wide territory range even if its lets say a one inch spider, while some larger spiders are ambushers and require a much smaller vivarium size, But my opinion is "Bigger is always better" because you could always downsize the vivarium. because smaller vivariums could stress it out. I know a larger vivarium could also stress is out so allow your spider to have a vivarium at least twice the size of it as a good starter.
Hope this helps,
Peter

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon
I think you're right, that there's a tendency to stick to the status quo rather than develop. I think one of the main factors is the nature of collections: if someone had one spider in one large vivarium then that would fine, but no one has the resources or space to keep a dozen or more in such large enclosures. Regardless, there needs to be some proper research into this, I might do my bit if i can get my hands on a new spider.

I agree with Liquifin, No one really experiments with vivarium sizes (and I would love to see reports on this) But spiders have different requirements. Some have a wide territory range even if its lets say a one inch spider, while some larger spiders are ambushers and require a much smaller vivarium size, But my opinion is "Bigger is always better" because you could always downsize the vivarium. because smaller vivariums could stress it out. I know a larger vivarium could also stress is out so allow your spider to have a vivarium at least twice the size of it as a good starter.
Hope this helps,
Peter
That's a good point about the types of spider, do you know of any tarantulas that hunt actively on the ground? I've only heard of non-tarantula species hunting this way. I've wondered for a while about the view that large enclosures can stress spiders out; how can it possibly be the case? Surely in the wild they are in a larger open space than they possibly can be in captivity, and they are not stressed out there.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I think you're right, that there's a tendency to stick to the status quo rather than develop. I think one of the main factors is the nature of collections: if someone had one spider in one large vivarium then that would fine, but no one has the resources or space to keep a dozen or more in such large enclosures. Regardless, there needs to be some proper research into this, I might do my bit if i can get my hands on a new spider.

That's a good point about the types of spider, do you know of any tarantulas that hunt actively on the ground? I've only heard of non-tarantula species hunting this way. I've wondered for a while about the view that large enclosures can stress spiders out; how can it possibly be the case? Surely in the wild they are in a larger open space than they possibly can be in captivity, and they are not stressed out there.
Tarantulas in the wild and captivity do not get stressed in large enclosures or space, but the thing is that large space means more unknown predators/areas to them, which drives them to hide and burrow more often. Tarantula slings in captivity, by hobbyist prefer smaller enclosures like small vials, etc. Because it helps finding,caring, and feeding a tarantula sling easier (especially if they burrow which makes them almost impossible to find in big space). And the question do you know of any tarantulas that hunt actively on the ground? well do you mean tarantulas that hunts for prey often? then yes like the A. geniculata and L. parahybana (not as slings, but more of juveniles and adults).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also, large setups while OK must be filled with a lot of insects otherwise predator/prey interactions are significantly reduced. The larger the setup, the more one is forced to mimic nature if you want the animal to thrive.