Are naked millipede eggs still viable?

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
So i have had my N. gordanus for a little over 6 now and i found some naked eggs on the surface of the substrate that had some mold on them. I removed the moldy eggs and noticed a bunch of naked eggs all along the walls of the cage underneath the substrate (with no mold) and i was wondering are the eggs still viable? there is plenty of rotting wood in the substrate and on the surface is there any reason why they are not making egg capsules?

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Maybe it's inexperienced parents? I see an occasional naked egg but not every one that they lay. Are you sure they are gordanus? Or could there be another species in with them? Very strange!

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
Maybe it's inexperienced parents? I see an occasional naked egg but not every one that they lay. Are you sure they are gordanus? Or could there be another species in with them? Very strange!
They are defiantly gordanus (smoky oak) ill upload a good pic of the eggs to the thread in a little bit. I was going to change out the substrate but now i'm not sure if i can do that

mickiem

Arachnoprince
When I have
questionable substrate, I go ahead and rehouse the millipedes and hang on to the old to watch for eggs or whatever surprises may come.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
To answer your question.... Orin mentioned several times in his books that eggs are sometimes produced naked and will hatch if they remain humid. You may want to scrunch substrate around it and put a leaf or something on top so you remember where they are. I tend to lose track of naked eggs so I never know if pedelings are from the naked eggs or encased eggs.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It very much depends on the genus or/and species. Your chances of even 10% survival of bare eggs are low with Narceus. With the giant blue or AGB exposure is not a problem.

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
It very much depends on the genus or/and species. Your chances of even 10% survival of bare eggs are low with Narceus. With the giant blue or AGB exposure is not a problem.
Yes i saw in you're book you said some species will lay a few of the eggs in capsules and the rest of the eggs bare but Narceus was not one of them. That why i was questioning weather or not these were going to hatch. But i'm going to rehouse the adults i have in the enclosure and keep an eye on that cage for the next 4 to 6 weeks to see if any hatch. If not that substrate will be moved into my huge used substrate bin. I'b be absolutely happy with just one or 2 hatching out and more would be better. Thanks for you're response.

Last edited: