Are leaf insects safe for pregnant women ?

Chicken28

Arachnopeon
Hi, I’m pregnant right now and just wondering if it’s safe to get a phyillium leaf insect? Can I catch any illnesses from it or can it carry any bacteria that might be damaging to the unborn child? Thanks in advance!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Hi, I’m pregnant right now and just wondering if it’s safe to get a phyillium leaf insect? Can I catch any illnesses from it or can it carry any bacteria that might be damaging to the unborn child? Thanks in advance!
Probably not. Few insects in the hobby can transmit illnesses to humans, for obvious reasons, and I doubt many of even any leaf insects can transmit disease to humans. You and your child will probably be fine.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
They're pretty benign; just be aware of any legal restrictions on owning them. They're illegal over here in the States, not sure what the situation is in Germany.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
They're pretty benign; just be aware of any legal restrictions on owning them. They're illegal over here in the States, not sure what the situation is in Germany.
The leaf insect will not cause any problems -- just be very thorough in rinsing their food plants. Blackberry / Bramble from the wild.

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
The only insects or arachnids that could affect you or your child are those that would normally just affect you. Such as any invertebrates that suck blood or are venomous.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
No problem at all. Be sure the feeder plants are pesticide-free, both for you and the Phyllium. :)

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
A leaf insect is one of the cleanest bugs out there. Starts out as a little egg and from there on out all the matter in its body is just the leaves it eats.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Chicken28 Nice to hear of someone being sensible and cautious in this age of chemical soups and global disease transmission.
There is one watch for: chlorpyrifros do cross the placenta so make certain the food you provide for your critter is pesticide free. Also, they add adjuncts to pesticides to resist being washed off - a way of turning bushes and trees into insect killers for the long run and the heck with the health of the consumers.