Archispirostreptus Gigas Gender?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
6C708081-70F5-43AC-B246-D361096879A6.jpeg
I’m definitely thinking this one has to be a female, no gap what so ever in any of the pictures I’ve taken. ^ 5E7E0723-F864-4381-9A87-C892EE954925.jpeg 7A05535B-1CBD-468F-ACE3-D3161296C3BB.jpeg
I’m thinking this guy is a male! ^ Little small to see 100% but I’m definitely noticing a legitimate gap on the 7th segment in both pictures.

What do you guys think?

I would like to note that these two beauties have been LIVING together, so they have to be either two females or a male & female. They don’t go anywhere without each other, that definitely doesn’t sound like a behavior two males would have. Can’t wait to hear what people think!

The top picture is one millipede and the bottom two pictures are another millipede, but the last two are the same one. There’s only two individual millipedes pictured here.

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
I think they might both be male, but its difficult to tell for the first one. Second one is definitely a male. Remember that millipedes are mostly docile to their own kind, the only times even mild fighting occurs is during mating season, when two or more males fight over a single female, and that's not a rule for all species, either.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I think they might both be male, but its difficult to tell for the first one. Second one is definitely a male. Remember that millipedes are mostly docile to their own kind, the only times even mild fighting occurs is during mating season, when two or more males fight over a single female, and that's not a rule for all species, either.
True, yes. However, many people that have owned AGBs have told me that two males will rarely live together, for whatever reason that maybe I'm not sure. I agree the second one has to be a male. I know I didn't upload a lot of pictures for the first one, but there is no gap what so ever anywhere on that millipede, literally nowhere. There are legs on every segment. I am mostly interested in finding out if the second one was indeed a male, which your response has only made me more confident in.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I am going to upload a few more pictures in a second of the one that I believe is a female, I think it should give you a better view of what I mean.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I don't see any kind of a gap. Hopefully you have a male and a female!

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
It might just be my brain tricking me, but I still think there is a gap, its just less obvious. If you indeed have a male and a female, then I wish you luck in breeding these. If they've cohabitated for a while and aren't found on opposite sides of the enclosure, then you probably do have a male/female pair.

Insectopia

Arachnopeon
Best way for checking is getting those small see-through food containers and looking under them, it works even with small millipedes

Insectopia

Arachnopeon
True, yes. However, many people that have owned AGBs have told me that two males will rarely live together, for whatever reason that maybe I'm not sure. I agree the second one has to be a male. I know I didn't upload a lot of pictures for the first one, but there is no gap what so ever anywhere on that millipede, literally nowhere. There are legs on every segment. I am mostly interested in finding out if the second one was indeed a male, which your response has only made me more confident in.
Don’t think that’s true. I have quiet large numbers living together (including lots of males) and there doesn’t seem to be any problems

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Don’t think that’s true. I have quiet large numbers living together (including lots of males) and there doesn’t seem to be any problems
I wasn’t referring to sharing the same enclosure or general space, these two millipedes in particular curl right up next to each other or on top of each other in a 3 inch cave that just fits the two of them.

Insectopia

Arachnopeon
I wasn’t referring to sharing the same enclosure or general space, these two millipedes in particular curl right up next to each other or on top of each other in a 3 inch cave that just fits the two of them.
What were you referring to then?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
What were you referring to then?
The very small cave, relative to their size, that the two of them have chosen to get comfortable in. They do not go anywhere without each other and there are multiple other prime spots (dare I say bigger) for them to hide in. Any other millipede species I’ve ever own has shown community attributes as you’ve said above, as well as these guys, but there is definitely a noticeable bond when two millipedes pair. I’ve been able to identify that there is a gap in one and not in the other, I appreciate everyone’s help :) The clear container worked to prove what my images were implying. Thanks!

7Fin

Arachnoknight
How old are they? Sometimes a young male might seem like a female

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Around a year and a half, they’re both the same age though. If one has a clear gap and the other one doesn’t I would imagine it wouldn’t be related to age.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
Around a year and a half, they’re both the same age though. If one has a clear gap and the other one doesn’t I would imagine it wouldn’t be related to age.
Ah but you see it's always a possibility, millipedes reach adulthood at different times. Happened to me with a rainbow millipede

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Ah but you see it's always a possibility, millipedes reach adulthood at different times. Happened to me with a rainbow millipede
True, I’ll have to keep you updated. They’ve continued the same ritualistic behavior that I’ve noticed before. Interested to see if they hold true.