Arboreals and screentops

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Was excited my c versi turned out to be female. I saw that the exo terra made what seem to be good arboreal enclosures. I was just concerned that she might get her feet caught in a screentop. I know that some folks replace the screentop with plastic and such. I just don't know how one goes about doing that. Wasn't sure if I had to worry about the screen top. The exo terra enclosures are cheaper than some of the custom acrylics I have seen. Just asking for advice.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Though many people use those exo terras without having issues with the screen top, it's generally safer to replace it. I believe you can go to most hardware stores and request to get acrylic sheets cut to certain dimensions.

Bigger issue will be getting good ventilation, since unless you know how to cut glass, those enclosures don't offer any besides the top lid.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Good point. I was thinking about that. Maybe it would be better to get the custom acrylic. I could probably do the exo with my psalmopoeus but the versi probably needs extra vents

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Good point. I was thinking about that. Maybe it would be better to get the custom acrylic. I could probably do the exo with my psalmopoeus but the versi probably needs extra vents
Better to be safe than sorry, IMO. ;)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My big lady P. metallica lives in a exoterra with a screen top and not once in the 5 years she’s been in it has she ever tried to walk on it. If she did, I would move her.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It seems to be more of a risk with lumbering terrestrials making their way up there, but it still can happen.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Bigger issue will be getting good ventilation, since unless you know how to cut glass, those enclosures don't offer any besides the top lid.
Sorry, but that's not true. They have front ventilation below the doors and with the ventilation on top, it provides kind of a chimney effect. Something you'll find in almost every European glass enclosure. :)

I really like the tall Exo Terras for arboreals, I'm just not willing to spend that amount of money... yet. I probably change my mind when my C. versicolor needs her final home. ;)
But if/when it comes to that, I'll be definitely replacing the mesh top.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Sorry, but that's not true. They have front ventilation below the doors and with the ventilation on top, it provides kind of a chimney effect. Something you'll find in almost every European glass enclosure. :)

I really like the tall Exo Terras for arboreals, I'm just not willing to spend that amount of money... yet. I probably change my mind when my C. versicolor needs her final home. ;)
Mine must not then, unless I've never noticed it! My apologies if I'm wrong.

I keep my adult female S. calceatum in one, it's one of my favorite enclosures as far as looks go. Would be really nice if she'd stop using the enclosure door for poo sniping practice though.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I'm just not willing to spend that amount of money... yet.
If you haven't already perused online classifieds for used ones, I highly recommend it. Some people let some nice enclosures go for rather cheap.

Mine must not then, unless I've never noticed it!
The uh, "dimples" on either side of the lock are the front vent holes, so if those aren't there then I would say you don't have them.

My apologies if I'm wrong.
It's all good. :D

I know that some folks replace the screentop with plastic and such.
You have a few options here. You can cut out the screen entirely and silicone in the acrylic. You can keep the screen and glue/silicone acrylic underneath (I believe basin does this?). Or you can go the Ungoliant way and put a loosely draped sheet of cotton underneath the screen to discourage climbing. On that front, after hearing that method, I used a paper towel instead of the cotton and it has seemingly achieved the same effect.

Oh, don't forget to put in airholes if you go the acrylic route.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Though many people use those exo terras without having issues with the screen top, it's generally safer to replace it. I believe you can go to most hardware stores and request to get acrylic sheets cut to certain dimensions.

All the exoterra i have seen have some vents under the front door opening. Also the doors themselves usually don't seel perfectly

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I have kept an A. Metallica in one for years and she's been cool. I have a larger one that I have been considering putting a T stirmi in but with that one I plan to swap the lid out with an acrylic top "Just in case" if she decides to chew through it or might get hung up etc.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If you haven't already perused online classifieds for used ones, I highly recommend it. Some people let some nice enclosures go for rather cheap.
Yeah, I browse the German craigslist equivalent all the time, just haven't been lucky yet. ;)

Yeah I think I know what you're referring to, i'm just a moron :rofl:
Not sure how to rate this comment without offending anyone. :rofl:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Was excited my c versi turned out to be female. I saw that the exo terra made what seem to be good arboreal enclosures. I was just concerned that she might get her feet caught in a screentop. I know that some folks replace the screentop with plastic and such. I just don't know how one goes about doing that. Wasn't sure if I had to worry about the screen top. The exo terra enclosures are cheaper than some of the custom acrylics I have seen.
Although not everyone agrees that that screen/mesh lids are hazardous for arboreals, I would personally replace or cover it.

While arboreals are better climbers, their tarsal claws can still get stuck in a fine mesh. My Avicularia did seem to have trouble walking across the screen. Sometimes, she would pull her foot free and keep moving, but once she fell in the attempt. Fortunately, she landed in the water dish and was unharmed, but I took that for a warning and implemented a temporary fix.

I cut a square of very thin cotton from a worn-out bedsheet. I removed the screen lid, placed the sheet of cotton over it so that it covered the mesh, and then replaced the lid. The result is a sheet that is loosely draped below the mesh inside the cage.

This effectively discourages my arboreals from climbing on the ceiling, as they seem to realize that they aren't getting secure footing. (I've seen them take a tentative step or two onto the cloth and then turn back.)

It worked so well that I never ended up replacing the screen lid. I now use this on both of my Exo Terra arboreal enclosures. (So far, it's been successful with two Avicularia avicularia and a Psalmopoeus cambridgei.)

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Although not everyone agrees that that screen/mesh lids are hazardous for arboreals, I would personally replace or cover it.

While arboreals are better climbers, their tarsal claws can still get stuck in a fine mesh. My Avicularia did seem to have trouble walking across the screen. Sometimes, she would pull her foot free and keep moving, but once she fell in the attempt. Fortunately, she landed in the water dish and was unharmed, but I took that for a warning and implemented a temporary fix.

I cut a square of very thin cotton from a worn-out bedsheet. I removed the screen lid, placed the sheet of cotton over it so that it covered the mesh, and then replaced the lid. The result is a sheet that is loosely draped below the mesh inside the cage.

This effectively discourages my arboreals from climbing on the ceiling, as they seem to realize that they aren't getting secure footing. (I've seen them take a tentative step or two onto the cloth and then turn back.)

It worked so well that I never ended up replacing the screen lid. I now use this on both of my Exo Terra arboreal enclosures. (So far, it's been successful with two Avicularia avicularia and a Psalmopoeus cambridgei.)
So it sounds like the ventilation isnt an issue on the exo terras? I suppose I could always drill more holes with special drill bits. I know there are cheaper options but for something like c verisicolor i dont mind paying for a good display enclosure

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So it sounds like the ventilation isnt an issue on the exo terras? I suppose I could always drill more holes with special drill bits. I know there are cheaper options but for something like c verisicolor i dont mind paying for a good display enclosure
I haven't had ventilation issues with dry substrate.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I strongly suggest perforated metal sheets. They can be made of stsinkess steel or aluminium. They come in diffrent types with the holes located mire or less near each other. The best is where the holes are as close to each other as possible. In Sweden they can be bought at "Plåtslagar firmor" Dont know the english word unfortunatly! One just tell the size of the sheets and they cut it out into that size!

boina

Lady of the mites

Don't buy Exo Terras. Buy one of the ubiquitous glass enclosures you can get at every reptile/tarantula show. They are half the price, better quality and don't have mesh tops. Of course you need to get them home, but if you buy just one that should be manageable ;).

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Don't buy Exo Terras. Buy one of the ubiquitous glass enclosures you can get at every reptile/tarantula show. They are half the price, better quality and don't have mesh tops. Of course you need to get them home, but if you buy just one that should be manageable ;).
Do you know if the glass enclosures also come with side-sliding or other front-opening doors for arboreals? I hate those trap door openings. ;) I always feel as if I'm not in control while opening these doors, you either have to hold them open with one hand or take the front out completely which isn't better either, if a T decides to bolt. ;) That's what I particularly like about the Exo Terra enclosures... their front opening doors. :)

boina

Lady of the mites
Do you know if the glass enclosures also come with side-sliding or other front-opening doors for arboreals? I hate those trap door openings. ;) I always feel as if I'm not in control while opening these doors, you either have to hold them open with one hand or take the front out completely which isn't better either, if a T decides to bolt. ;) That's what I particularly like about the Exo Terra enclosures... their front opening doors. :)
There's a variant with side sliding doors - I personally only like that one only for the really large ones (30x30x50cm), the smaller ones (20x20x30/40 cm) work better with trap doors cause you have more space to get things through. There's one company that has very cool ones (the best quality, too) where the trap door comes out at an angle so you can have a shelf over it and still get the door out. PMing you the link.