Arboreal T's

Ilich

Arachnosquire
What would you recommend for a first time arboreal? Or should I really just stick with terrestrial t's and wait on that? I was looking at the C. versicolor and it seemed like a lovely species to have. However, I've heard a lot of people have problems taking care of these t's. Typically being that too much humidity kills them even when people think they're doing the right thing.

From what I've seen/read I just need to dampen the substrate every now and again and the walls of the enclosure (occasionally). To clarify I read that, specifically, I need to do it every 3-4 days or so. Also it gets a bit colder here in the winter so would it be recommended I use a heat lamp/pad? My house temp is generally kept at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit however it can get a bit drafty in here as it's an older house.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

That's how I and most other keep them with success.

Psalmopoeus cambrigei is a good choice. Cheap, fast growers, not too defensive. But watch that feeding response. Very intense. Anything else from the genus wouldn't be a terrible choice either.

Tapinauchinius are pretty much the same.
Your thread generally confirms what I've come to believe.

That's also a pretty species, maybe not as eye-catching but still gorgeous nonetheless. How big do they get to be?

cold blood

Staff member
Or should I really just stick with terrestrial t's and wait on that?
This is generally my suggestion.

I was looking at the C. versicolor and it seemed like a lovely species to have.
If you really gotta have an arboreal, this is a good choice. IMO they are more tolerant than most other avic related species....plus they grow fast and eat well.
From what I've seen/read I just need to dampen the substrate every now and again and the walls of the enclosure (occasionally
Nope, you want dry sub and a water dish. Misting isn't really needed (I almost never do)....if you do, its not for husbandry, its for drinking opportunity, which means just a light half spritz on the webbing or on a wall.....don't do it often and never over-do it.

The only time I really do it is in winter when things get super dry from the furnace and space heater running constantly.

Also it gets a bit colder here in the winter so would it be recommended I use a heat lamp/pad?
No, lamps are dangerous, mats attract ts to them, so to use them it needs to be unconventional means...but this could be an option. To use them safely, you would heat a larger enclosure and place the ts enclosure within that....this turns the potentially dangerous direct heat, into a much safer secondary heat.

A space heater warming a room or area is by far the most desirable choice to add additional heat.

My house temp is generally kept at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit however it can get a bit drafty in here as it's an older house.
70 degrees is just fine for just about any t...just put it somewhere that's not drafty, like a closet or an out of the way place away from those drafts.

cold blood

Staff member
Keep in mind @Venom1080 , this isn't just a first arboreal, but a first ever t.

Cams get in the 7" range as adult females.

Ilich

Arachnosquire

I probably should have mentioned that at the beginning, that's my bad. I've still got plenty of time to figure out what I'm going to get either way.

This is generally my suggestion.

If you really gotta have an arboreal, this is a good choice. IMO they are more tolerant than most other avic related species....plus they grow fast and eat well.
Nope, you want dry sub and a water dish. Misting isn't really needed (I almost never do)....if you do, its not for husbandry, its for drinking opportunity, which means just a light half spritz on the webbing or on a wall.....don't do it often and never over-do it.

The only time I really do it is in winter when things get super dry from the furnace and space heater running constantly.

No, lamps are dangerous, mats attract ts to them, so to use them it needs to be unconventional means...but this could be an option. To use them safely, you would heat a larger enclosure and place the ts enclosure within that....this turns the potentially dangerous direct heat, into a much safer secondary heat.

A space heater warming a room or area is by far the most desirable choice to add additional heat.

70 degrees is just fine for just about any t...just put it somewhere that's not drafty, like a closet or an out of the way place away from those drafts.
I really like arboreal t's, but since it seems to be, by pretty much everyone, recommended that I get a terrestrial I will most likely go with that as my first T. After I've become comfortable with taking care of him/her I would most likely want to get C. versicolor next though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
My second/3rd T was a versicolor and it is doing very well. Definitely one of the best looking in my colection (of mostly slings). Basically read a couple of the Avic care guides and house them the same. Dry sub with lots of cross ventalation. Your room temp should be fine. Mine has shown no aggression but it did bolt up my arm once when it was still tiny and it decided it wanted to JUMP out of it's enclosure once while i had the lid off. It didn't seem like it was trying to run away or attack anything, it just jumped out and onto the lid as i put it down and stood there till i guided it back in.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
My second/3rd T was a versicolor and it is doing very well. Definitely one of the best looking in my colection (of mostly slings). Basically read a couple of the Avic care guides and house them the same. Dry sub with lots of cross ventalation. Your room temp should be fine. Mine has shown no aggression but it did bolt up my arm once when it was still tiny and it decided it wanted to JUMP out of it's enclosure once while i had the lid off. It didn't seem like it was trying to run away or attack anything, it just jumped out and onto the lid as i put it down and stood there till i guided it back in.
Oh the versicolor is gorgeous no doubt. Avicularia seem to be a bit excitable to be honest and I like that about them. I do understand however, that I should probably have more general experience than I have now (which is little besides handling wild terrestrial desert tarantulas)

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Based on my limited experience, i think a versicolor could be an okay first T to somebody who does the proper research first.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Based on my limited experience, i think a versicolor could be an okay first T to somebody who does the proper research first.
I've done quite a bit of research, but I want to be certain of myself before anything. I wouldn't want a T to die on my watch, I would feel pretty bad about it.

So I was thinking then, maybe Nhandu chromatus for my first T? What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Fair enough. Regarding the versicolor) You seem to be doing your research and asking questions so i expect you will do well with whichever you decide.

If you give some details on what you would like in a T the good folks here will be able to give you more specific suggestions. Things like colors you like, Size you want it to grow to, how often you want it to be out, if you would like one that webs up everything or if you want one that webs very little, how much money you are looking to spend, etc.

i know you said you are not expecting to get on right away, but if you can narrow down what you want in a T then you can get a list of Ts that might work which you can then research and decide on instead of getting a rather sizable list of almost every new world terrestrial known to man.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Fair enough. Regarding the versicolor) You seem to be doing your research and asking questions so i expect you will do well with whichever you decide.

If you give some details on what you would like in a T the good folks here will be able to give you more specific suggestions. Things like colors you like, Size you want it to grow to, how often you want it to be out, if you would like one that webs up everything or if you want one that webs very little, how much money you are looking to spend, etc.

i know you said you are not expecting to get on right away, but if you can narrow down what you want in a T then you can get a list of Ts that might work which you can then research and decide on instead of getting a rather sizable list of almost every new world terrestrial known to man.
Honestly I just go with what catches my eye and seems the most interesting and then I do my research. I like one with more energy and maybe a bit odd/unusual creatures. Most colors will do, however blue is my favorite color of all followed by purple. Therefore I'm going to feel more inclined to want a blue T.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Hmmm. i can think of lots of old worlds that are blue but none that would be a good first T and Purple only a couple arboreals and phamphobetus (probably spelt wrong) come to mind and i don't think phamphobetus are usually recommended for starting and maybe expensive. Not sure. i haven't gotten one yet... Sorry.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Hmmm. i can think of lots of old worlds that are blue but none that would be a good first T and Purple only a couple arboreals and phamphobetus (probably spelt wrong) come to mind and i don't think phamphobetus are usually recommended for starting and maybe expensive. Not sure. i haven't gotten one yet... Sorry.
That's what I have found as well, it's fine thought. I think I might have something pinpointed.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
So I was thinking then, maybe Nhandu chromatus for my first T? What do you think?
Not bad, but they can be a little bolty and they like to flick hairs. I've heard of some people's preferring moist sub and some preferring dry, so I gave them the option and gave them half moist and half dry and they go back and forth between the two.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Not bad, but they can be a little bolty and they like to flick hairs. I've heard of some people's preferring moist sub and some preferring dry, so I gave them the option and gave them half moist and half dry and they go back and forth between the two.
Well I'll be sure to be careful with it then if I do choose to get one. I've also heard that as well, however. That's a good idea, duly noted.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Purple or Blue terrestrials....hmm try a GBB or Pterinopelma sazimai. Both are NW easy to raise, grow fairly quick,and good eaters.

Pterinopelma sazimai
2018-04-07 10.55.39.jpg
GBB
2018-05-08 14.24.05.jpg

cold blood

Staff member

boina

Lady of the mites
I second Thrixopelma cyaneolum. They have the best blue and the best disposition, however they are calm not feisty. They are very curious, though.