Arboreal sling/juvie enclosures

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been searching supermarkets lately for suitable enclosures for arboreal slings and juvies but with little success. Most of the ones I have found are near too hard to poke vent holes into. Some lids are too fragile that when I poke them they just break apart. Can anyone post me some pics of some cheap enclosures I can use and where I can find them? If all else fails I'll just order some stuff from TarantulaCages. Those sure are pricey, though.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
go to an arts and crafts store. they have these things called display cubes which are perfect for arboreals. i'll see if i have any pics of mine uploaded to photobucket.. they are basically just clear, plastic, rectangle shaped boxes with a lid. i used my old roommates dremmel i think to make holes in the side..actually it kinda melted the plastic a bit..which is fine. melting may be a better approach since you don't run the risk of stress causing cracks in the plastic. oh yea, they come in a number of different sizes and are cheap.

found a couple pics.

display cube:

vials work great too and are pretty cheap. i got most of mine through ordering spiders over the internet.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think your looking for something like this

Available at Michaels for 2.99/ea

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i've never seen sponges used like that. my only hesitation is a potential for mold..though i would think a sponge hanging like that would be much less prone to molding that one sitting in a water dish.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've never seen sponges used like that. my only hesitation is a potential for mold..though i would think a sponge hanging like that would be much less prone to molding that one sitting in a water dish.
Yea, those sponges should never get wet, those cages are for Pokies

Avic cage below

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Go to walmart or a hardware store and pick up a rotary tool kit they work great for all things like drilling little holes and stuff.

sntcruzan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fyi

You can get nice rubber corks at most hardware stores, like Ace Hardware. The are better looking than the sponge.

Fred

Jorsher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are those display cubes somewhat thick or weaksauce? I've been thinking about building my own acrylic ones but those look to be good for the price.