Arboreal shopping.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Keep in mind Ive never kept adult arboreals and would appreciate the opinion on a good starter adult.
From what I understand Tapi's are more forgiving than Avics, and less flighty than Psalmopoeus. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Since this is your first arboreal, I would recommend an Avicularia or Caribena versicolor. While people sometimes have trouble getting the requirements right for slings, a juvenile or adult should be no trouble.

If you are feeling uncertain, you can always post pictures of your setup (ideally before adding the spider) for feedback.

Psalmopoeus cambridgei (the least defensive member of the genus) makes an excellent second arboreal. (Psalmos are faster than Avics and have more potent venom.)

Tapinauchenius are known for being speed demons -- definitely not ideal for a first arboreal.

I have a young adult A. avic which I really enjoy. While it's a little bit plain-looking, those pink toes and extra large feet are just adorable IMO:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Nobody, or at least I missed it, is giving any love to the P pulcher. That's my choice. Gorgeous and easy care.
Avics are pretty easy. Biggest thing that kills them is a lack of ventilation. They are slower that Tappi's and Psalms.
As far as speed on Tappi's and Psalmopoeus, they are both super fast when they decide to get going. They can change direction faster than you can react.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Nobody, or at least I missed it, is giving any love to the P pulcher. That's my choice. Gorgeous and easy care.
Avics are pretty easy. Biggest thing that kills them is a lack of ventilation. They are slower that Tappi's and Psalms.
As far as speed on Tappi's and Psalmopoeus, they are both super fast when they decide to get going. They can change direction faster than you can react.
@Walker253 Why aren't more people talking about P. pulcher ?! Tons of Avic, and Caribena pics and threads ect everywhere, but not much mainstream as far as p. pulcher and T gigas which both really deserve more appreciation imo.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
@Walker253 Why aren't more people talking about P. pulcher ?! Tons of Avic, and Caribena pics and threads ect everywhere, but not much mainstream as far as p. pulcher and T gigas which both really deserve more appreciation imo.
This being said I am waiting till my new T-room at home is finished to be keeping anything fast or flighty like those.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I love the way P. pulcher looks, but while researching it, I read in multiple places that the usual disposition is quite defensive. I mean, Nhandu is defensive, and I have one of those, but it's not as fast as an arboreal.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I love the way P. pulcher looks, but while researching it, I read in multiple places that the usual disposition is quite defensive. I mean, Nhandu is defensive, and I have one of those, but it's not as fast as an arboreal.
They are no worse than any other Psalmopoeus. I think P irminia is the most defensive, but the cambridgei and pulcher are about the same, imo. I have 2 P pulchers (one I bought as a T gigas and got a surprise). They are out more than my irminia or cambridgei. I'm not messing with them, I'd never try to handle any Psalmopoeus, nor a Nhandu. I've not had an issue. I like my hand fang hole free. They are almost always visible.

Last edited: