Arboreal shopping.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Im getting ready to make my first medium to adult arboreal purchase. Been doing some major research into behavior and conditions arboreals are kept in.

Some of the species I am considering.

A. Avic
Tapi. Gigas
Tapi. violaceus
Psal. pulcher
Psal. cambrigei

Keep in mind Ive never kept adult arboreals and would appreciate the opinion on a good starter adult.
From what I understand Tapi's are more forgiving than Avics, and less flighty than Psalmopoeus. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated thanks

user 666

Arachnobaron
I have had bad luck with avics. they are on my never-again list.

P cambridgei, on the other hand, are fast growing an hardy. (mine molts about once a month)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I bought an adult female Caribena versicolor and she's moulted twice in my care. Exo terra nano tall with a perspex roof, cork bark, dry sub and a large water dish. No problems at all.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
At medium to adult you should have no problems with those Ts as far a care goes. Once the avics or the versi gets out of the sling stage it's usually pretty hardy. If you've not owned Ts before I'd start with the Avic.

If you have some T experience I'd go for the P.cam. My girl is a great T to own.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have a young adult A. avic which I really enjoy. While it's a little bit plain-looking, those pink toes and extra large feet are just adorable IMO:

Also have a sling C. versicolor, so I don't have personal experience with the adult version yet. My understanding is that the care and temperament of both A. avic and C. versicolor are quite similar, and that either one can be a good starter arboreal.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
IMG_20161209_182822246.jpg IMG_20170524_232236400.jpg All are great. But obviously get the avics.

They're slow growing compared to the others however, so keep that in mind.
Plain looking is a lie, they are blue and look great with flash.

Attachments

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have to. Many will roll their eyes as I post this lass a lot but I'm not arsed.

Adult female Caribena versicolor.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
If you have some T experience I'd go for the P.cam. My girl is a great T to own.
@Trenor

On and off for 6 or 7 years. Had lots of terrestrial arachnids of various sizes. I learned the hard way years ago not to buy delicate arboreal slings, even species with fairly simple care, because if by chance I cant make the time to be checking on them every day, ISH happens.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I would get an Avic or Caribena before you get a psalmo just because psalmos are super fast and an Avic might prepare you for that better than jumping straight into a super fast arboreal with pretty potent venom.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
First time I ever bought slings years ago, I bought a couple P. cambridgei, and a Cyriocosmus which I cant remember. End of the second month the Psal's both dried out and died on a weekend. Obviously I had them to close to the corner of a terrarium in my living room, it was very disheartening and I have been very weary about my purchases since then.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Im getting ready to make my first medium to adult arboreal purchase. Been doing some major research into behavior and conditions arboreals are kept in.

Some of the species I am considering.

A. Avic
Tapi. Gigas
Tapi. violaceus
Psal. pulcher
Psal. cambrigei

Keep in mind Ive never kept adult arboreals and would appreciate the opinion on a good starter adult.
From what I understand Tapi's are more forgiving than Avics, and less flighty than Psalmopoeus. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated thanks

I have a FemaleTapinauchenius cupreus which is in the same family as the Gigas.

my female is awesome she's never tried to escape, bite, or even throw a threat pose..

I've mated her and the male stayed in her enclosure for up to two weeks without issues and a sac was made to completion.

Another thing about these is they eat well and grow fast!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I bought an adult female Caribena versicolor and she's moulted twice in my care. Exo terra nano tall with a perspex roof, cork bark, dry sub and a large water dish. No problems at all.
I have 3.

Mileena, SAF, purchased as a 2" juvenile
View media item 42219
Phoenix, suspect female, currently one instar behind Mileena, got this one as a sling a year ago
View media item 42108
And another sling as part of a mystery box
14359065_1423417254338376_5000883228488434677_n.jpg

I was put off of getting slings for ages by all the "but they die really easily, hurr durr SADS" but got one after more research. I've found them to be pretty hardy as long as you give them adequate ventilation and don't overdo it with moisture, great eaters as well.

They go through so many cool colour changes, once they hit 2" you basically get a completely different spider with every moult.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
As others said, I'd get the avic. They are a lot prettier than people give them credit for.

Leila

Arachnobaron
My A. avic, Yeva, can be viewed in the thumbnail below. She is an absolute doll.

I agree with those saying you should start with an Avicularia sp. I also think you should eventually get all of the Ts on your above list. :) Arboreals are my favorite tarantulas! :angelic:

Attachments

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For a first arboreal i would recommend a juvie or adult A avic or any cheap Avicularia sp.
Sling husbandry can be tricky for newer arboreal keepers thats why i suggest juvie/subadult.

Psalmo are more "semi arboreal" and hide a lot. Plus theyre more defensive usually.

Tappi can be insanely fast and not recommended for newer arboreal keepers in my humble opinion.

All 3 genuses have amazing and beautiful species however, so im sure youll be pleased no matter what. Good luck

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
My first T in general was my Avicularia avicularia and im honestly super happy with that decision. I dont think ANY of my others are less flighty than my girl. Shes a little over 3". Absolutely beautiful. If she ever comes out of her hideaway again, I have to get new pics of her. Even though she doesnt she's in my top 3 at the moment because i can still see her, she only turns down food when shes in pre-molt, and she has very interesting behavior for a lazy bum.
I definitely would not have wanted to get something as fast as my P. cambridgei without having something slower first. And Tappies are NOT slower from what ive heard. Fastest genus, right? Correct me if im wrong.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first T in general was my Avicularia avicularia and im honestly super happy with that decision. I dont think ANY of my others are less flighty than my girl. Shes a little over 3". Absolutely beautiful. If she ever comes out of her hideaway again, I have to get new pics of her. Even though she doesnt she's in my top 3 at the moment because i can still see her, she only turns down food when shes in pre-molt, and she has very interesting behavior for a lazy bum.
I definitely would not have wanted to get something as fast as my P. cambridgei without having something slower first. And Tappies are NOT slower from what ive heard. Fastest genus, right? Correct me if im wrong.
T gigas is definitely one of the fastest ive dealt with. I had a beautiful t cupreus that was drastically slower, but it could have just been individualism however.

Anybody who knows speedy ts will agree tappies are not the genus to sleep on man

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
T gigas is definitely one of the fastest ive dealt with. I had a beautiful t cupreus that was drastically slower, but it could have just been individualism however.

Anybody who knows speedy ts will agree tappies are not the genus to sleep on man
Ive googled all of em that popped up when you type the genus into the search bar and i only saw a couple that didn't drop my jaw. Will definitely be acquiring them at some point, but not before i get used to the speed ive already got winding up in my closet-o'-legs.