1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arboreal happiness?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Cuttlefish, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Has anyone out there ever tried to get an arboreal species to use a toilet paper roll (or something similar) as a house?
    I have a book with a picture of a Pinktoe inside a curled banana leaf, and I'm wondering if mine would like something similar...

Thanks for any help,
    Tamara.

2. ArachnoJoost

ArachnoJoost Arachnobaron Old Timer

Hey,
    I think a pinktoe would like such a hiding place, but a toilet paper roll would get very soggy due to the high humidity. the photo is of a pinktoe I saw in the wild (surinam), and it had built its retreat in a plant (also like a tube)
    greetz,
    Joost

3. Wade

Wade Arachnoking Old Timer

They do like tubes...to avoid the problems Joost mentioned, platic pvc pipe could be used instead. I use two pieces of cork bark aranged so the concave sides face each other creating a space between.

wade

4. MrDeranged

MrDeranged He Who Rules Staff Member

Joost is right on the money. In the humidity that an avicularia needs, a cardboard tube would quickly turn into a soggy, moldy mess. I would go with Wade's suggestion of using either pvc pipe or cork bark. You can find corkbark tubes that would be perfect for an avicularia.

Scott

5. skinheaddave

skinheaddave SkorpionSkin Arachnosupporter

Just so happens I've got some PVC piping in the garage right now. I'll cut some for her this afternoon.

Cheers,
    Dave