Arboreal enclosure question

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
arboreal enclosure.jpg I recently got my first arboreal, a 3/4 inch I. hirstum sling. It's currently housed in one of Jamies enclosures but the problem is that it won't come down to eat. I did finally get it to eat by putting a prekilled roach on top of it's cork bark but that was an adventure in itself as it promptly dropped out of the bottom while I was putting the roach up there and made a break for it. I was prepared for that and got it back in it's enclosure and a few minutes later it was eating so it was hungry. I can't be doing that every time I feed, so I was wondering if I could use this as an enclosure to have access from the top. It's kind of big but clear enough that I should be to find it in there. The jar is 3" in diameter and 6" tall.

cold blood

Staff member
id go a little smaller at that size. a 16oz deli would be good....i wouldnt go any larger than a 32oz deli. 20171106_001115.jpg 20170622_192934.jpg

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
id go a little smaller at that size. a 16oz deli would be good....i wouldnt go any larger than a 32oz deli. View attachment 259768 View attachment 259769
It's pretty close in size to a 32 oz deli which is actually a little wider than this so it should work, I only have the 32oz in larger deli cups and they are white. All my clear 16 oz ones are currently housing G. caseyi larvae and a D. pentaloris whose enclosure was missing from my order. Thank you.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I think the -biggest- issue you're going to have with that as an enclosure? Is when it's time to rehouse them. That top is pretty small and it won't give you must room to stick tongs or a paintbrush inside.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I second what @miss moxie said. It will also be an issue for rehousing and regular maintenance if it webs up the top.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I think the -biggest- issue you're going to have with that as an enclosure? Is when it's time to rehouse them. That top is pretty small and it won't give you must room to stick tongs or a paintbrush inside.
Yeah, I thought about that too, though the top opening is larger than it looks. I'm just trying to find something to put the sling in so I don't stress the poor thing to death over feeding, plus I don't want to risk injuring it if I keep having to catch it.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I second what @miss moxie said. It will also be an issue for rehousing and regular maintenance if it webs up the top.
I was thinking of putting the cork bark and fake plants only about 3/4ths of the way up to encourage it to build a little lower, would that work? Sounds like I may have to go to the store to try to find something more suitable.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I was thinking of putting the cork bark and fake plants only about 3/4ths of the way up to encourage it to build a little lower, would that work? Sounds like I may have to go to the store to try to find something more suitable.
The thing is that they can climb. You can try to stop them from doing it but it is of little use. They go wherever they want whenever they want.

One of mine climbs for no real reason. It's really annoying (especially for a terrestrial) but there is nothing I can do about it. I just accept that I have an idiot in the mix. :banghead:

Even if it decides not to stretch webbing across the top, @miss moxie 's point remains true.

For arboreals, I prefer containers that open from below.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
For arboreals, I prefer containers that open from below.
That's what it's in right now, but it won't come down to eat. If it would that would be great but as you say, they go where they want. Trying to get food up to it freaks it out and then it comes down and out. I can see a bolus in it's web right now and I know that if I try to remove it , the little booger will try to make it's escape. I wish they made a small enough enclosure with a front opening door.

cold blood

Staff member
yep, no room to work...that extra diameter with the deli cup would make a big differrence from a keeper convenience standpoint.

Why cant those larvae just be moved?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, or if it's because they're Ybyrapora, but unlike my Caribena I've noticed that the 4 Ybyrapora diversipes I've set up didn't go all the way to the top, rather they made their homes near the top or in the middle. This is how I have them set up:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Why cant those larvae just be moved?
The larvae are very close to pupation, moving them now would not be a good idea. Those blasted larvae have cost me a fortune to feed over the last 7 months since I have to have their substrate shipped. I will never again raise flower beetles, when these guys emerge all their children will be food for my carnivorous inverts.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Okay guys, you talked me out of using that container. You all made very good points. I'll go to the store this weekend and see if I can find something that will work for both me and the sling. Thanks to you all :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Okay guys, you talked me out of using that container. You all made very good points. I'll go to the store this weekend and see if I can find something that will work for both me and the sling. Thanks to you all :)
If you decide on a deli container, you can just go to the grocery store and order some potato salad. :rofl:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Woohooo! The little one came down and got a roach off the bottom of it's enclosure today. It can stay in the enclosure it's in, I'm so happy!