Arboreal Chilin' On Enclosure Floor - Help

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
So, my C. Versicolor has been hanging out on the bottom of its enclosure a lot lately. It's been in its current space for about a 4 weeks and just recently started this behavior. I just wanna know if it's normal or if it's a sign of something. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We need photos of the enclosure.

How long have you had the spider? When was its last molt and feeding? Does it have constant access to water?

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
We need photos of the enclosure.

How long have you had the spider? When was its last molt and feeding? Does it have constant access to water?
4 weeks. It's been in the some enclosure since I got it. It hasn't molted for me yet so I'm not sure on that. I put part of a mealworm in its web a couple days ago but he ignored it so I removed it. He did eat a mealworm last week though. (that's been working for me so far but if you have any suggestions please let me know). As far as water goes, I just put a few droplets on the walls about twice a week. He's about 1.25" so I'm worried he might drown in a water-cap sized water dish.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
4 weeks. It's been in the some enclosure since I got it. It hasn't molted for me yet so I'm not sure on that. I put part of a mealworm in its web a couple days ago but he ignored it so I removed it. He did eat a mealworm last week though. (that's been working for me so far but if you have any suggestions please let me know). As far as water goes, I just put a few droplets on the walls about twice a week. He's about 1.25" so I'm worried he might drown in a water-cap sized water dish.
Ahh, okay, I wasn't sure from your wording if you rehoused the sling 4 weeks ago or got it 4 weeks ago.

Slings cannot drown in a water bowl. Most are too light to even break the surface tension.

What type of enclosure is it in? How much ventilation?

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
Ahh, okay, I wasn't sure from your wording if you rehoused the sling 4 weeks ago or got it 4 weeks ago.

Slings cannot drown in a water bowl. Most are too light to even break the surface tension.

What type of enclosure is it in? How much ventilation?
4.25 tall x 2.5 with a ton of ventilation on top and on 2 sides facing eachother

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
Like others asked, can you post photos of the enclosure and the spider in its current state? It'll help figure out what may be wrong. Also, I agree with Teal, your sling wouldn't drown, especially at that size. A clean bottle cap would be perfectly fine for a water dish :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If I had to guess, I would say the sling is probably dehydrated. Photos will definitely help.

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
If I had to guess, I would say the sling is probably dehydrated. Photos will definitely help.
I don't have a way to upload photos atm :/ But general update: He explored his enclosure for a bit then webbed a very thin silk mat on the bottom (just above the substrate, not touching it) and he kind of tucked himself underneath it and is now in the 'scared tarantula' pose, not deathcurl. Maybe he's about to molt? Should I disturb him and to add a water dish to the enclosure or should I just leave him alone?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't have a way to upload photos atm :/ But general update: He explored his enclosure for a bit then webbed a very thin silk mat on the bottom (just above the substrate, not touching it) and he kind of tucked himself underneath it and is now in the 'scared tarantula' pose, not deathcurl. Maybe he's about to molt? Should I disturb him and to add a water dish to the enclosure or should I just leave him alone?
What sort of hides/plants/etc are available vertically for the sling to utilize?

I would definitely add a water bowl.

Thekla

Arachnoprince

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
What sort of hides/plants/etc are available vertically for the sling to utilize?

I would definitely add a water bowl.
There's a silk leave that goes form the ground to a log glued to the side. Across from that at the same level is a small stick w/ silk leaves and above that are 2 adjacent mini cork bark things closer to the top. He's silked over most of the enclosure lightly and heavily in his favorite spots.

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
I second that. They can't drown! ;)

And if he's not moulting right now I'd add the water dish, no matter what.
I'm just not sure if he's getting ready to molt or not :/ I'll probably wait another hour then add a water dish if nothing has changed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The enclosure is too open at the top... it needs more foliage for webbing/hiding.

Definitely add the water bowl as soon as possible. If you can, put it close to the sling.

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
Update 11:20pm - I've added a water dish. He hasn't gone into it to drink yet but he definitely knows it's there. In doing so I scared him a bit so now he's moving around the floor of his enclosure. He seems to be fine, but I'm still confused as to why he won't leave the bottom XD

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
The enclosure is too open at the top... it needs more foliage for webbing/hiding.

Definitely add the water bowl as soon as possible. If you can, put it close to the sling.
water dish added, I'll make sure to get something to put up there soon. Thanks

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I hope the little guy comes around soon!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Update 11:20pm - I've added a water dish. He hasn't gone into it to drink yet but he definitely knows it's there. In doing so I scared him a bit so now he's moving around the floor of his enclosure. He seems to be fine, but I'm still confused as to why he won't leave the bottom XD
Unusual, but not impossible. While I don't see a canopy and U shaped tube formed yet, some Avics will in fact use the substrate surface as part of their U shaped tube. I have 2 Avics that do this periodically.