Arana Polita - Chicken Spider Diary

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
could it be a Pamphobeteus crassifemur Bertani, Fukushima & Silva, 2008 here is a good read

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2008/f/zt01826p058.pdf
Very good article indeed. Extremely unlikely that it is a P crassifemur, as those were discovered in Brazil. I conferred with Abraxas earlier and he confirmed that the import he did receive came directly from Peru. I did notice something interesting in that article, though. There is a Pamphobeteus communis, Piza 1939. I wonder if this species has anything to do with P sp chicken spider. Very intriguing.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An update:

All tarantulas are alive and well. In fact 3 have molted this last week. 2 spiderlings and 1 juvenile.

A note of interest the 1 large juvenile that molted was the smallest of the group of 4 containing 1 adult, 1 subadult, and 2 juveniles of different sizes. I found the molt just outside the tiny little alcove all 4 had chosen as their burrow (they pile in on top of one another). So it looks as though the juvenile molted in that tiny enclosed space and pushed the old exoskeleton out. There was no solitary stage during the molt, nor did the others prey on the smallest tarantula in it's most vulnerable state.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found a fourth molt today. It seems that all the spiderlings, no matter the size or age are beginning to molt around the same time. All the others with bare rumps are no longer tan in colour, but are starting to darken extensively.

It may be a coincidence, but babies obviously from different age groups have timed their molts around the same time. Could this be a typical biological cycle based on time, or a pheromone response as a group?

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know, most of us with multiple T's experience that our T's tend to all moult at the same time, different species and ages.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you see from the following photos, P.antinous have red rumps when they are spiderlings, while the chicken spider remains a dull greyish/brown with no red rumps. I have various spiderlings of different sizes and none have red hairs.
While younge my antinous babies did not have the red colorations either but developed it later.

As to identification these seem to be main traits but this is not taxonomy but just a description below. These could also be the same species as antonous which has been stated but a different local which has slightly different traits.....just like Aphonopelma in US that are the same species from different areas.

spiderhunter: The Chicken Spider is a dark Brown - Black with white bands above the chelicerae and a very thick leg four which makes it different from the other spider of the region Pamphobeteus antinoius

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very Interesting

I like how Abraxas says, he is Not so Affected by the Hairs of Bok-Bok spiders.

That 2 me, makes a case for considerably different Sp. and likely, Locale.

Mostly, I wanna see how Many - Get Along :cool: I have had some difficult roomates B 4 :D - Jason

GettingItRight

Arachnopeon
Photoshoped

The first 3 pictures in this thread are either Photoshoped or posed. The reason I would think Photoshop is because of the depth perception in the first picture as there are 2 adult tarantulas there but one looks very out of proportion. The reason I say it is definitely one or the other for sure is the person taking those photos did not take the time to use different props. See the large stick on the right with the brown stain on top half. Well if you look at the other pictures that same stick is being used but the vegetation around that stick has changed. If you examine the pictures closely you will find more of these inconsistencies.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The first 3 pictures in this thread are either Photoshoped or posed. The reason I would think Photoshop is because of the depth perception in the first picture as there are 2 adult tarantulas there but one looks very out of proportion. The reason I say it is definitely one or the other for sure is the person taking those photos did not take the time to use different props. See the large stick on the right with the brown stain on top half. Well if you look at the other pictures that same stick is being used but the vegetation around that stick has changed. If you examine the pictures closely you will find more of these inconsistencies.
Reeaaaaaaaalllllyyyy?:rolleyes:

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
pictures

You know I thought that picture looked strange but did not think much of it.....

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Or maybe he just repositioned for a better angle and zoomed in a bit. Why would somebody fake this? Also, how (and why) exactly would the photographer have repositioned that stick without scaring away all the spiders? That's a pretty heavy accusation you're making considering how new and unique this species is. You sure?

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Or maybe he just repositioned for a better angle and zoomed in a bit. Why would somebody fake this? Also, how (and why) exactly would the photographer have repositioned that stick without scaring away all the spiders? That's a pretty heavy accusation you're making considering how new and unique this species is. You sure?
I already thought of the fact of zoom and if you look there is no vegetation at the end of that stick when zoomed out but all of the sudden there is more vegetation when zoomed in. It would be the opposite if what you were saying is true. Also look at the stuff around it all things are moving and changing but some stuff is the same and some stuff is different. I totally see what he is saying.

What it might be though is that it was taken at different times?

Last edited:

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hay guise I can tell its photoshopped because the pixels!!11! :rolleyes:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I first started reading this thread, I had an inkling in my mind that this was all a big set up but I kept it to myself (gutless on my part, I know, I feel bad writing this). I felt like Abraxis is laying the groundwork to create hype for what might be a common pampho so that when he eventually sells, he can sell for a premium and make a small fortune. Imagine how many of us would love to have a chicken spider or 10. Rather than the typical scam you see in the dealer warning sections, this one is a long con.

BUT I hope that isn't the case. I want to trust that he really does have an in with an exporter in South America and has managed to get his hands on some chicken spiders. Now that he has been called out, Abraxis rightly have to defend himself. Burden of proof and all; I hope he understands the importance of the criticisms, doesn't get too defensive, and passes with flying colors

EDIT: looking back at the pics, they don't look...right. But it might be because others have expressed doubts and now I'm not seeing them correctly

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I call BS on the photoshopping accusations.
Answer this then accusers:
why.
whats the clue to photoshopping of these pics?
what has been photoshopped?

Now calling into question his principles? Yeah everyone wants another large brown spider...they always top the price list eh?

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
point

I would like to point out that I am not accusing .....till he responds nobody knows anything. Its possible that the pictures were taken at different times. I am not sure how you tell if it was photoshoped.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, one easy way to prove he has what he has would be to post a video of the spiders together. Shouldn't be too difficult and would be so very cool to see.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
video

Actually, one easy way to prove he has what he has would be to post a video of the spiders together. Shouldn't be too difficult and would be so very cool to see.
I don't think that works as I was going to post a picture of my antonious co-habitating here in the next few days. I wanted to give them a week first and make sure they stay together ok but its been 2 days now and so far so good. There was a threat stance once but thats been about it so far and they seem to be getting along fine.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think that works as I was going to post a picture of my antonious co-habitating here in the next few days. I wanted to give them a week first and make sure they stay together ok but its been 2 days now and so far so good. There was a threat stance once but thats been about it so far and they seem to be getting along fine.
Hmm, well if thats the case, what do we need a chicken spider for? LOL I'm kidding. If they do stay communal, post some videos. I"m sure we'd love to see 'em.

I dunno, I'm sure its all on the up and up and I want to believe its for real, I want some damnit :D