Arana Polita - Chicken Spider Diary

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you link me to the article you mentioned?
Ah found the chapter. From the book, Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz.

'Failure to Launch' pg. 104

Photos exist of a mother Theraphosa blondi and her offspring, up to one-third grown and from several successive eggsacs, still sharing their mother's burrow, crawling on both her and their siblings. This is nothing short of absolutely amazing for the Tyrannosaurus rex of spiders!
Then it continues to communals of African species.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh ok, I was not aware TKG stood for Stan Schultz text. I do not have it personally, but I have talked with Stan in person before when he lived here in Calgary. Our opinions differed on live plants with tarantulas, but I won't hold that against him. :p

The other adult/subadult group I have has 1 adult, one that is 2/3 grown, another that is 1/2, and one that is 1/3. Quite the size difference and could potentially also from different family groups.

I will be experimenting with reintroducing a sling 6-12 months from now, that I am raising separately, into the original family group. This will help determine if the communal behavior is based only on related groups living together from time of birth with no interruption. I may consider introducing the juvenile from the spiderling group into the other group as it ages to test this as well.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for time devoted to this thread, AbraxasComplex. Great stuff so far and much much appreciated.

Not trying to divert this focus of the thread to something else, but out of curiousity I was wondering- what is your opinion on live plants with tarantulas?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you for time devoted to this thread, AbraxasComplex. Great stuff so far and much much appreciated.

Not trying to divert this focus of the thread to something else, but out of curiousity I was wondering- what is your opinion on live plants with tarantulas?

I support plants and tarantulas. I construct dart frog style vivariums for my inverts.

The issues with people are 3 fold.

The first is mold. Usually most mold is avoidable by using peat moss in the soil. Peat moss makes it more acidic and many molds do not appreciate this. Also a good selection of detritivores will consume mold or remove the degrading substances that the mold is using to propagate.

The second is mites. Mites are also avoidable by introducing H.miles, a predatory mite that will consume any parasites or nuisance species such as mites. With predatory mites the presence of other mites will not be noticeable enough to bother your inverts.

The third is toxins. Theoretically a toxic plant when consumed by feeder bugs will then be consumed by your inverts. A problem with this is that a plant that is toxic to a human or mammal may not be toxic to an invert and vise versa. No real studies have been done on this (that I'm aware of). So I choose nontoxic species (just as a cautionary) and supply grated carrots in all my tanks when I introduce feeder bugs. Crickets are opportunistic feeders. A grated carrot is easier to consume than a plant that secretes defensive sappy fluids to protect itself when nibbled on. I have noticed no nibbling on my plants after this addition of gut loading veggies.

Over the next few weeks I will be taking photos of the 6 foot, fully planted tank I am setting up for the older group. The tank is being built and should be finished this upcoming week. I am making a fake rock background and a false bottom as well.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A false bottom eh? What do you mean by that? Is it like having gravel at the bottom of an emperor scorpion's enclosure to help provide humidity?

Thanks for the info on that plant-related stuff though. That now explains why people don't just use eco-earth. A few more questions though-

1- Does anyone on AB sell H.miles regularly?
2- What non-toxic species of plants do you use?

Thanks.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A false bottom eh? What do you mean by that? Is it like having gravel at the bottom of an emperor scorpion's enclosure to help provide humidity?

Thanks for the info on that plant-related stuff though. That now explains why people don't just use eco-earth. A few more questions though-

1- Does anyone on AB sell H.miles regularly?
2- What non-toxic species of plants do you use?

Thanks.

Yes to a degree, gravel works as a drainage area, but is not a full false bottom. A false bottom consists of an elevated layer of plastic egg crate/fluorescent light grate. It is usually suspended by pvc pipe that has been cut an inch or so. On top of this layer is a layer of fiber glass screen, which is covered by gravel or fired clay pellets. On top of this is another layer of fiber glass screen, followed by an optional layer of sand and then your substrate. This creates a water reservoir under the soil making the soil moist, but never wet. There are many ways to create a false bottom, but I use this method.

So far I have seen no evidence of the chicken spider burrowing personally or through research. The false bottom would then work for a nonburrowing species. It will allow the plants to thrive with out issues.

As for plants I use many types of orchids, bromeliads, ficus (creeping fig), pothos, anubius sp. (typically sold for aquariums, but make great marginal plants if transitioned over properly), earth stars (Cryptanthus sp.), hoya, and a few types of ferns.

This is just a selection of the most common plants I use. I suggest starting with creeping fig, pothos, and earth stars. They seem to be the easiest to care for. Pothos are great since they come in multiple varieties including a golden type. It has a different textured and shaped/sized leaf so if you mix two types of pothos in a tank it creates a more visually dynamic environment.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool. You should make a tutorial on how to setup that false bottom. Maybe not necessarily a YouTube video, but perhaps pictures to document the progress of the new tank for the chicken spiders.

That is defintely a great idea for anyone who wants to see live plants thrive in their enclosure. Thanks.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool. You should make a tutorial on how to setup that false bottom. Maybe not necessarily a YouTube video, but perhaps pictures to document the progress of the new tank for the chicken spiders.

That is defintely a great idea for anyone who wants to see live plants thrive in their enclosure. Thanks.
I will be taking photos, step by step, for the the entire tank. That includes the fake rock background and false bottom. I'm debating on doing a full false bottom, or a partial. I'm keeping an eye on the tarantulas to see if they burrow at all. If I see any digging than a full false bottom is out. I'll have to end up just doing the layering of rock-screen-sand-screen-soil.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds great. I will undoubtedly be tuned in waiting for updates.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So here is the start of the background I am making. I will be using grout to make the background look like rock. Also the two missing portions are spots where I will have extended stone steps.

As you can see the top portion above the pre inca face sculpture is not finished. I still have some carving to do. I posted close up pics of the unfinished portion and finished just so you could see the difference.

I get the tank tomorrow night. It measures 6 feet long. Once I cut the background down to fit properly and begin the grout painting I will post more pictures.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Me either Jilly...

This will be an Impressive Set-up......Gives me Ideas :worship:

I am gonna have a complex, Untill I obtain "Bok-Bok" T - LOL

Thanx A.Complex - Jason

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great stuff Abraxas. varanidfan, on a certain unspecified "other" arachnid hobby discussion forum... that one I sent you a PM about, specializes in this as well.

Looking forward to seeing more.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Updates on the tank:

Here is the tank and I finished carving the background. The steps have holes in them since I wanted to maximized the space. The top will be filled with soil and planted heavily, and a small cavern compartment that takes up about 1/2 of the step has been made to create more burrow space. This can be accessed by a stone panel on each side that I will make removable in case I need to access the burrow. Most entrances (except one or two) will be accessed through a tunnel of soil suspended along pieces of driftwood. Tomorrow I start the "painting" process.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like a transformer....awesome.

That should look good when done, can't wait to see pics.

Cass