Arachnids in Myanmar and Thailand

Mygalomorph

Arachnopeon
Hello fellow enthusiasts,
My partner and I will be travelling to Myanmar and Thailand in late November. I want to set aside some time to look around for tarantulas in their natural habitat.
I know cobalt blue (Cyriopagopus lividus) inhabit the area I will be in. Any other species I should be on the lookout for?
Thanks!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Cyriopagopus (Formerly Haplopelma), Minax and others. Wildlife capturing is under a moratorium in Thailand. Transporting can get both fine and imprisonment. Habitat of the various species is pretty much all of SE Asia away from the cities. Many have an affinity for orchards - Lamyai, Longan, Lychee etc where the trees moderate temperature and humidity..

Mygalomorph

Arachnopeon
Neat, that makes sense that agricultural lands like orchards would be a good accessible place to look. I am only planning to admire wildlife in situ and photograph, won't be transporting anything.
I know that tarantulas are occasionally eaten in Cambodia, I am curious if I will see any deep fried in village markets in Myanmar or Thailand.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I am curious if I will see any deep fried in village markets in Myanmar or Thailand.
Common in certain markets, usually near hilltribe settled areas. Most of Laos, some of Cambodia, northern Thailand, Burma, and southernmost China.
According to my partner, Hilltribeous Bananaramas, they have a slightly sweet sort of nutty flavor.
(It's a pastime and entertainment for hilltribe kids to collect them, toss them into the campfire and fish it back out with a stick then chow down.)

Last edited:

Mygalomorph

Arachnopeon
Wow. Well at the very least there will be some amazing food whether or not it includes arachnids.
I will report back to arachnoboards if I find anything of note in the field.