Apistogramma help

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Out of all plces I saw 4 apisto assorted “cockatoos” at petco and I bought 3 of them. Unfortunately I plan to breed them but they all look like females, ie no crest, yellowish hues, and no ventrals. Granted all of them are about 0.75-1” and I’m pretty sure that some of the other fish in the tank back at petco kind of beat them up a bit. However I noticed that at the store two of the smaller ones kept flaring and following each other through the glass and would swim away only to come back. They kept flaring and when I added them to the tank they explored the tank as a pair but they slept by themselves...would these be a pair? At their size would it be reliable to sex them?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Out of all plces I saw 4 apisto assorted “cockatoos” at petco and I bought 3 of them. Unfortunately I plan to breed them but they all look like females, ie no crest, yellowish hues, and no ventrals. Granted all of them are about 0.75-1” and I’m pretty sure that some of the other fish in the tank back at petco kind of beat them up a bit. However I noticed that at the store two of the smaller ones kept flaring and following each other through the glass and would swim away only to come back. They kept flaring and when I added them to the tank they explored the tank as a pair but they slept by themselves...would these be a pair? At their size would it be reliable to sex them?
I used to keep these guys a number of years ago. If you showed pictures it might help.
My female was only around 1.25" in length so in all likelihood if yours are around that size and are the drab colors and don't have a crest they are more likely than not to be female.

Why didn't you buy the 4th one as well?

These guys are on my "buy them again" fish list if I ever see them available locally, they're quite neat fish.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
172DC1C3-B9D3-48BD-BA24-17EBFF2C813A.jpeg 4th one was at least half the size of the others. All my ither tanks contain more predatory fish so he would’ve been an easy target for them all and the other apistos. I believe one’s a definite male; he has a bulkier head and although his crest isn’t that big it’s much more pronounced and prominent than the other two. He also has white and longer ventrals as well and more mottled coloration. One female that I know for sure has the typical yellow colorstion, black v entrals and blck eye bands.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
View attachment 309119 4th one was at least half the size of the others. All my ither tanks contain more predatory fish so he would’ve been an easy target for them all and the other apistos. I believe one’s a definite male; he has a bulkier head and although his crest isn’t that big it’s much more pronounced and prominent than the other two. He also has white and longer ventrals as well and more mottled coloration. One female that I know for sure has the typical yellow colorstion, black v entrals and blck eye bands.
In my experience these guys are very timid and shy, any other fish in the tank (besides the most easy going community fish) will likely stress them out.

They probably aren't quite old enough to sex yet, just give them time.

Congratulations on your purchase :)