1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aphonopelma sp. Guatemala stripe leg help

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Mychajlo, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    So I just bought this girl about a week ago as an A. Seemanni and a few days after I got her in her new enclosed she seemed fine and webbed a little bit since then she hasn’t eaten, I’ve read that some Aphonopelma species fast sometimes and I don’t know if this species does or not, but I’m pretty sure she’s drank her water but she has yet to eat, she’s very very calm most of the time but she can be skittish sometimes but rarely. she has made what seems to be a mat right outside of her hide and doesn’t use her hide at all, she doesn’t look to be in premolt, so I’m just wondering if there’s anything I should be doing differently
    6ED6F2C4-4EA0-472A-BEBA-6E59A444F4E9.jpeg D201FABE-9CA3-4FB2-B59D-44D02053A474.jpeg 4A5BAC68-192D-4DCD-920C-52B2D494572A.jpeg

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

They prefer deep, damp sub.

3. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnosquire

Ok thank you, I’ll switch it up and see if that makes any difference, stay tuned lol thank you

4. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnosquire

So it’s been 1 maybe 3 days since I rehoused and changed the substrate of my 5” female A. Sp. Guatemala stripe leg and the sub is now moist and deep for burrowing. But still no eating, nor any burrowing. I’ve had her for about 2-3 weeks now maybe even a month I’m not sure. When I feed her she just seems to be bothered by the roach. Her abdomen is not dark and is not getting bigger so I don’t think she’s in premolt. I do believe she is wild caught so I’m not sure how old she is. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys
    2B425713-B286-4E77-B84F-75568136FFA6.jpeg B91CCA48-CF68-496A-BF62-8FA2ED63C40F.jpeg F142033D-8179-45B6-A835-4E64D17D3ABE.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Just needs time to settle in. Sometimes WC specimens take longer to acclimate, especially fossorials IME. Took my largest Hysterocrates about one month before she started accepting food.

She only showed interest in prey after establishing her burrow. Wait another week or two and then try feeding again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnosquire

Ok thank you

7. SIM

SIM Arachnopeon

IL-US
    Are you feeding with tongs/tweezers? She might prefer if you just drop the roach inside and leave it there for her to catch. [but be sure to remove it if she doesn't in a few hours/ a day] I had a similar issue with my versi sling

8. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnosquire

Yeah, I just drop the roach in there and then leave it for her, but she never does anything with it

9. Ethan Luebke

Ethan Luebke Arachnopeon

Indiana
    You could try crickets as the more docile species prefer easy prey some roaches are as long as this species and even if the size of the abdomen she may not be hungry enough or agressive enough to want to try and risk inury on the other hand I have same species with almost identical bald patch and you notice some skin darkening she is infact in premolt this t species abdomen don’t realky swell as much the larger they get as well as not until a month or so before molt will it swell a little bit. I would make sure she knows where her water is 1. 2 offer a cricket in a week or 2 and after 24 hours if she is avoiding it then take it out and she prolly won’t eat no more maybe one more time and if she does eat it you maybe have a handful of feedings left before her real fast will begin but other then that just needs time to realize she is in a safe place and can move and get comfortable other then then that good luck and I likevits set up orhervthen the cup which it may take to something that feels more natural then slick and cool to the touch

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  10. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    Might wanna check the dates this thread was last active before posting, buddy. :hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 1