1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aphonopelma Seemanni Fasting?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Mychajlo, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So I’ve had my 5”-6” A. Seemanni for about 1 month now and she has not eaten, not burrowed, and not done much of anything, I have offered her a roach every day since I’ve had her and nothing. I’ve taken some of y’alls advice and deepened the substrate and moistened one side to let her choose what she prefers and all she has done is sit under her hide and web up a little. She seems completely unaffected by the presence of a roach. She does sometimes walk around her enclosure but not much else. I don’t know if she’s fasting or if she’s in “extensive premolt” although her abdomen isn’t dark at all. I’m not sure what’s going on with her
    3219ADC7-4D6F-45B1-9E7D-76B2E8C03CDE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

If this were mine, I would be offering a roach, like, in a month if is she hasn't molted. IMO offering food every day to a fasting adult t, is like cutting the lawn every day...just a waste of time.

Any t that has a long molt cycle, will be prone to fasting, especially if its not a particularly fast growing species.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob1985

Rob1985 This user has no status. Old Timer

I offer my go to line for situations like this...

“Tarantulas do Tarantula things... like not eat and not move for long periods of time"

Keep the water dish full and offer food once a week. If it doesn't eat then remove the prey right away and monitor daily for activity of the T laying down a web mat.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

That makes sense, I just didn’t know if her species was prone to fasting like some of the Grammostolas

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

She finally ate!! I’m so relieved

Update: false alarm, she did not eat, she went down to it like she was gonna bite it but she did not

6. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

Ok, she did eat today, and this time the roach is ACTUALLY in her mouth, I think she was just stressing me one last time yesturday like she was thinking “eh yeah I’m hungry right now but one more day of making the large flesh beast think I’m dying would be fun”

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trincess

Trincess Arachnopeon

Uk
    What would it mean if it laid down a web mat? @Rob1985

8. Rob1985

Rob1985 This user has no status. Old Timer

That would indicate premolt.

• Agree Agree x 1