• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Aphonopelma moderatum

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 3.5" female A. moderatum, recently molted. She's small for breeding, but I've been told they will breed small and I had a chance to pick up a MM at a reasonable price, so I am giving it a try.

Any comment or suggestions from those who have bred this species are appreciated via PM.

Received recently molted MM on 6/7.

Placed MM in a 5.5 g with hide on 6/9. Placed female in her enclosure inside the 5.5g.

On 6/11, male made sperm web and tore down later in the day.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
07/09/07

Here's my A. moderatum male and female mating. I was a bit surprised on how this went down. I put the female in with the male (I hadn't had luck the other way). I prodded her toward him. As soon as she got close, he rushed her, pushing her on her side. She turned toward him and he cranked her way back and started poking away for an insert. All in the span of about 5 seconds. :eek:

I had expected something a bit more paced, tentative, ritualistic, and, uh.. consensual :?

I had them both in a 20 g long. The male roaming free from his enclosure and the female enclosed. Trying to get them used to each other's presence. I guess this got him all hot and bothered.

I couldn't tell if he got a good insert. It was hard to see and I didn't want to disturb the process. He had her up for 2-3 minutes it seemed and was working with his pedipalps.