Aphonopelma iodius & Aphonopelma eutylenum

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I was on this T hobby Facebook page and someone posted a photo of an Aphonopelma sp."Mexican diamondback" (Hidalgo)...are these anywhere for sale in the USA from a reputable breeder???

It looks like two different Ts sewn into one lol....I like this look!!

Boaz Solorio

Arachnopeon
I found a handful of specimens near Paso Robles, five on a single property in Templeton and one near a body of wayer in Creston. I kept all of them, and interestingly, there were two outliers. One was a very rusty red, likely the former A. chamberlini, but it recently molted and now looks relatively similar to the other specimens, albeit a bit darker in color, even freshly molted. The other outlier was especially dark, with almost no blond. Then, once it molted, it looked rather similar, yet still darker. They were only a couple miles apart, so I can't imagine they're a locality of any sort, but I do wonder if they really are all A. iodius.
The other three molted, and look exactly like they had previous molt. Much like an A. chalcodes, with a very blond prosoma.

Boaz Solorio

Arachnopeon
The first two photos show the oddly dark specimen before and after it's molt. The second set of photos show the oddly red specimen before and after it's molt. The last set of photos shows a normal looking specimen, that looks identical to the other two I found. It's more than likely that this is just some phenotypical variation within the species, but it's entirely possible that these outliers could be different in some way or another. Given the recent revision, I don't really want to make any statements saying these could be different species, as I am not a taxonomist. I'm just sharing my observations. That being said, I will be breeding these once the male matures, would anyone be interested in slings?

Attachments