Aphonopelma chalcodes price check

BugBonez

Arachnopeon
Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me. I haven't been in the hobby very long at all but I have a couple slings. I saw this listing on on Craigslist and it peaked my interest. It is for a three and a half inch juvenile Aphonopelma chalcodes that the seller says it's confirmed female. She is listed at $65 and I was wondering if that was a reasonable price for the tarantula? Thank you in advance for any responses.
Link: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/female-tarantula-for-sale/6681533139.html

Screenshot_20180826-182720_Chrome.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
High, but not unreasonably so. Look hard enough and they pop up under $50 for adult females.

BugBonez

Arachnopeon
High, but not unreasonably so. Look hard enough and they pop up under $50 for adult females.
Thank you. I guess I got excited because it avoided the price of shipping. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it goes down.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It won't hurt to offer them less and see what they say!

I also guess I now have to check the "general for sale" section of CL instead of just "Pets" when looking for Ts, darn it lol

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me. I haven't been in the hobby very long at all but I have a couple slings. I saw this listing on on Craigslist and it peaked my interest. It is for a three and a half inch juvenile Aphonopelma chalcodes that the seller says it's confirmed female. She is listed at $65 and I was wondering if that was a reasonable price for the tarantula? Thank you in advance for any responses.
Link: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/female-tarantula-for-sale/6681533139.html

View attachment 284857
I don't live very far from there and have been seeing that same ad be re-uploaded for a while. No one seems to want it, so I'd definitely try haggling ;) Doesn't hurt to try!

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
If you take into consideration the prices of shipping, if you have no expos near you, or any breeders close by, $50 isn't bad. You can always try to talk the seller down. Although, if your Craigslist location is anywhere near as shady as mine, ask for a molt for sex confirmation, and does she come with the enclosure as well?

BugBonez

Arachnopeon
If you take into consideration the prices of shipping, if you have no expos near you, or any breeders close by, $50 isn't bad. You can always try to talk the seller down. Although, if your Craigslist location is anywhere near as shady as mine, ask for a molt for sex confirmation, and does she come with the enclosure as well?
The ad mentioned nothing about a enclosure and as for the area I actually know it well, it's not far from my house and for the most part not shady but the molt confirmation is smart. And for expos, there was one close to me yesterday and the day before but I couldn't go. I wish I knew if there was a breeder near me...

I'll wait a day then see if I can handle the person down.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
The ad mentioned nothing about a enclosure and as for the area I actually know it well, it's not far from my house and for the most part not shady but the molt confirmation is smart. And for expos, there was one close to me yesterday and the day before but I couldn't go. I wish I knew if there was a breeder near me...

I'll wait a day then see if I can handle the person down.
If you use FB, you can join some of the tarantula pages and find out if there are any breeders near you. I only mentioned molt confirmation because, as much as I hate to be that Negative Nancy, there are some people who have been known to sell males stating they were females. Although, it doesn't hurt to ask the seller if the tarantula comes with an enclosure. I mean he did claim his wife doesn't want him to have it, so ya never know :p Given that you're in California, I'd say odds are fairly good there's a few breeders in your state, as to how close they are to you, I'd still suggest checking out FB groups.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you use FB, you can join some of the tarantula pages and find out if there are any breeders near you. I only mentioned molt confirmation because, as much as I hate to be that Negative Nancy, there are some people who have been known to sell males stating they were females. Although, it doesn't hurt to ask the seller if the tarantula comes with an enclosure. I mean he did claim his wife doesn't want him to have it, so ya never know :p Given that you're in California, I'd say odds are fairly good there's a few breeders in your state, as to how close they are to you, I'd still suggest checking out FB groups.
You'd be surprised at the lack of tarantula breeders/sellers in California! We had KTBG and Paul Becker... KTBG moved to Arizona, and we all know what happened to Paul.

Our invert group folded a long time ago (SFBATS)... there is CVHS (Central Valley Herp Society) still though.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
You'd be surprised at the lack of tarantula breeders/sellers in California! We had KTBG and Paul Becker... KTBG moved to Arizona, and we all know what happened to Paul.

Our invert group folded a long time ago (SFBATS)... there is CVHS (Central Valley Herp Society) still though.
Check out Midwest Fang Gang on FB. I'm pretty sure there's a few from CA in that group.

As for Paul, Yeah there was a big crap storm and a half regarding his business, but I did see him post recently having a few spiders for sale again.

dmac

Arachnopeon
As for Paul, Yeah there was a big crap storm and a half regarding his business, but I did see him post recently having a few spiders for sale again.
That would be awesome to see him back at it. I got six of my Ts from him a couple of years ago. Really good seller.

As for A. chalcodes, I guess I was hoping for a bit more of a deal when I asked my girlfriend to look for one at the San Jose herp show recently, but sounds like $50 is a good deal. Maybe I'll luck out at the Sacramento show next month. My girlfriend did luck out on the H. pulchripes sling she got me, just $45. There are some tarantula keepers in the Northern California Herp Society too, though we meet in Sacramento and that may be a bit of a drive. A couple members paired up their B. vagans and my girlfriend and I each got a sling from them last year, but not sure about any breedings beyond that.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There are some tarantula keepers in the Northern California Herp Society too, though we meet in Sacramento and that may be a bit of a drive. A couple members paired up their B. vagans and my girlfriend and I each got a sling from them last year, but not sure about any breedings beyond that.
I really need to make it to an NCHS meeting one of these days... Is there somewhere I can find the dates/times that isn't Facebook?

dmac

Arachnopeon
I really need to make it to an NCHS meeting one of these days... Is there somewhere I can find the dates/times that isn't Facebook?
Yeah, there's a webpage. Pops right up when you google the name.

BugBonez

Arachnopeon
Cool, the NCHS looks interesting but the one problem is (at least for me) that I don't want to drive two and a half hours at least, without traffic, so yeah....

And as for the Craigslist ad I was asking about, I talked the guy down to 55 which isn't too bad and got back from picking the T up not long ago. I put her in a large Critter keeper with a breeding box lid on it.

20180830_194041.jpg
I thought I should leave the cup that she was in so she could come out on her own, I didn't want to stress her out anymore than I had to.

And thank you all for the information you gave me on this!

Pernicious

Arachnosquire
Hey i know driving sucks we all hate it these days. But there is a pretty awsome breeder in oregon twisted silk exotics..worth dealing with and i know they go to a few expos as well might ne worth checkin out for a good t!

BugBonez

Arachnopeon
Hey i know driving sucks we all hate it these days. But there is a pretty awsome breeder in oregon twisted silk exotics..worth dealing with and i know they go to a few expos as well might ne worth checkin out for a good t!
Yeah driving in the Bay Area just keeps getting worse and worse and worse..... And not only is the time driving annoying but my vehicle isn't very fuel efficient at all and at that point I might as well pay for overnight shipping.... It's cheaper :penguin:...

Edit: Expo is still probably worth it for the fun of it

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah driving in the Bay Area just keeps getting worse and worse and worse..... And not only is the time driving annoying but my vehicle isn't very fuel efficient at all and at that point I might as well pay for overnight shipping.... It's cheaper :penguin:...

Edit: Expo is still probably worth it for the fun of it
This post could have come from my own fingers lol I am a really patient person and traffic doesn't bother me, but on a recent trip to SFO I was reminded why cities aren't my kind of place lol And add in driving a V8 4x4 truck that gets fuel mileage on par with a damn big rig... overnight shipping IS legitimately often cheaper LOL

Expos are always great though!