Aphonopelma Chalcodes or A. Henzi please help thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
hello guys Im sorry if i posted in the wrong spot its ok to erase post if so thanks
I got a wild tarantula from the Texas New Mexico border area. It molted into a MM.
I was told it was a Texas Brown however it looks to be maybe a A Chalcodes. I want to make sure I don't pair him with the wrong female. any help is greatly appreciated thank you

last pic is before molt thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Looks like an some type of MM Aphonopelma species to me. Some A. hentzi are a black color when fully Mature as a male. But who actually knows? Their are a lot of Aphonopelma species that are black as MM.

looks more like a Grammostola pulchra
That's everyone's first response when they see a a some type of MM Aphonopelma species. But some Aphonopelma look completely different as MM. Have you ever seen the A. moderatum MM and Mature females? They look nothing alike.

korlash091

Arachnosquire
Looks like an some type of MM Aphonopelma species to me. Some A. hentzi are a black color when fully Mature as a male. But who actually knows? Their are a lot of Aphonopelma species that are black as MM.

That's everyone's first response when they see a a some type of MM Aphonopelma species. But some Aphonopelma look completely different as MM. Have you ever seen the A. moderatum MM and Mature females? They look nothing alike.
wow didnt know that thanks for the info and clarification.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
here he is before molt and when in molt hope this helps
Looks like A. hentzi MM from how i'm seeing it (not to sure though). A. hentzi and A. chalcodes is kinda confusing to tell apart. But the differences that makes it easier for me is that A. chalcodes have the more blond legs, whereas the A. hentzi have more of the gray/blacker legs. Another way to look at them apart is the chelicerae (jaw like part). A. hentzi have a more gray/black chelicerae and A. chalcodes are more of a blond color chelicerae. I know this is not entirely helpful. But this does help me out on the ID between the two. Maybe someone better can ID this guy than me.

Last edited:

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Yep, A. hentzi MM from how i'm seeing it. A. hentzi and A. chalcodes is kinda confusing to tell apart. But the differences that makes it easier for me is that A. chalcodes have the more blond legs, whereas the A. hentzi have more of the gray/blacker legs. Another way to look at them apart is the chelicerae (jaw like part). A. hentzi have a more gray/black chelicerae and A. chalcodes are more of a blond color chelicerae. I know this is not entirely helpful. But this does help me out on the ID between the two.
thank you so much I really appreciate your help and time I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!!! and your right about the confusing part i was trying for almost an hour to figure it out online and gave up thank goodness for you!!!!

Phia

Arachnopeon
Ah! I just posted in the molt thread about this phenomenon happening with my Margarita! I had read on the Aphonopelma papers that Rio Grande Gold go from blonde to full black. Meanwhile I've seen A. hentzi, A. anax, and A. chalcodes just turn into darker versions of themselves when they molt out. Margarita went from a light colored Texas Brown/Tan to a full black tarantula with cute red setae. I think all of Texas may be one big hybridization playground, lol. Your Aphonopelma sp. looks amazingly like A. chalcodes, but the end result is the same lol.

Attachments

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
hello guys Im sorry if i posted in the wrong spot its ok to erase post if so thanks
I got a wild tarantula from the Texas New Mexico border area. It molted into a MM.
I was told it was a Texas Brown however it looks to be maybe a A Chalcodes. I want to make sure I don't pair him with the wrong female. any help is greatly appreciated thank you

last pic is before molt thanks
Your tarantula is Aphonopelma gabeli. They are quite common around the Texas/ New Mexico border. Females and immatures are blonde while males upon reaching maturity turn jet black as yours did. Aphonopelma chalcodes is restricted to the state of Arizona, however, Aphonopelma gabeli has a range from Arizona all the way to west Texas. Also, Aphonopelma chalcodes males when mature are brown/ grey/ black with copper colored carapace and look more like males of Aphonopelma hentzi.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Your tarantula is Aphonopelma gabeli. They are quite common around the Texas/ New Mexico border. Females and immatures are blonde while males upon reaching maturity turn jet black as yours did. Aphonopelma chalcodes is restricted to the state of Arizona, however, Aphonopelma gabeli has a range from Arizona all the way to west Texas. Also, Aphonopelma chalcodes males when mature are brown/ grey/ black with copper colored carapace and look more like males of Aphonopelma hentzi.
thank you so much I really appreciate the help have a wonderful weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.