Aphonopelma Chalcodes female fasting for 5~ months, no signs of premolt.

Major017

Arachnopeon
(Besides not eating of course).

I'm not particularly worried about it, as their species is known for having some lengthy fasting periods, but I was just slightly curious if anyone has had any similar experiences with this T, or any Ts really.

After the first month of non-eating, I suspected premolt, but now I'm doubting that.
  • No bald/shiny/dark abdomen
  • No molting mat
  • Hasn't blocked herself off
Etc.

Does anyone have any similar stories with Ts that stopped eating for ungodly amounts of time? Thanks for sharing!

On an unrelated note, this is my first post here. Yay me.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
(Besides not eating of course).

I'm not particularly worried about it, as their species is known for having some lengthy fasting periods, but I was just slightly curious if anyone has had any similar experiences with this T, or any Ts really.

After the first month of non-eating, I suspected premolt, but now I'm doubting that.
  • No bald/shiny/dark abdomen
  • No molting mat
  • Hasn't blocked herself off
Etc.

Does anyone have any similar stories with Ts that stopped eating for ungodly amounts of time? Thanks for sharing!

On an unrelated note, this is my first post here. Yay me.
http://www.giantspiders.com/species/aphonopelma-spp/

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
A friend of mine has a .25-.5 A. chalcodes sling that hasn't eaten or molted in 10 months. I just visited recently to take a look at his collection, and the little thing is still happy as a clam, and rotund as can be. Little survivalists they are, I'd be interested to find out their maximum lifespan.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Got an A. hentzi who fasted 8 months, came up for a tiny meal, and went back under. It's been 4 months and counting now . . . it's about .25 in size and has molted once I know of with no noticeable change in size.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
My A chalcodes is a pig. She has been eating every other week for me. Was feeding her weekly, but I went to biweekly. I got her at a reptile show 2 months ago. I don’t know if she was wild caught or not. She is a mature female at just under 6 inches in leg span. She was a little thin when I got her. Might be why she has been ravenous

cold blood

Staff member
My rose hair has gone a year on a few occassions...i had a 1/2" albiceps go almost 7 months.

Element

Arachnopeon
My poor little Euathlus Sp Red sling has been fasting 4 months now at a measly 1/2”. It molted once and now it’s just sitting in the enclosure staring sweetly as the world passes by. I’m so ready for this little potato to grow.

Grenn

Arachnopeon
My poor little Euathlus Sp Red sling has been fasting 4 months now at a measly 1/2”. It molted once and now it’s just sitting in the enclosure staring sweetly as the world passes by. I’m so ready for this little potato to grow.
I'm actually glad to hear this from someone else, as I'm having the same concerns and was just about to make a separate post. My little 'Red is about the same size and it's been 9 months(!) since it last moulted. It's been eating periodically but seems like it's been plump and ready to shed for about 6 months... I know people say these are slow growers but come on little dude. Just loves that little cave. :bored:

EDIT: S/he JUST shed!!! The key was clearly naming and shaming on this forum. Thanks Arachnoboards.

(PS sorry to further divert the thread from A. chalcodes, although it fits the general behaviour and hopefully reassuring to someone else)

(PPS - "Does anyone have any similar stories with Ts that stopped eating for ungodly amounts of time?" -- My first T, an AF G. rosea, went at least 2 years without eating.)

Last edited: