Aphonopelma chalcodes aka "New River" Mature Male

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to show off a couple of photos one of a mature male Aphonoplema chalcodes aka Aphonopelma sp. "New River". Handsome little devil!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ah, I love this species! Such great colors, and since the revision, the entire A. chalcodes species has such a range of variations. I sure hope you're breeding beauty!

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
I thought New River was a completely different species?

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
Regardless, I love my chalcodes. Only turned down one meal. Much quicker/skittish than i originally thought they would be and kicks hairs a lot when i enter the enclosure (I was told they were some of the most docile Ts out there!) but I still love her. :)

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Nope, New River is a locality famed for its particularly bright chalcodes. And if you ever see "Table Mesa," well that mesa is located in New River...same thing.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Chalcodes are extremely variable, largely based on topography and altitude. New River is located in the foothills north of Phoenix, on and near great sweeping mesas and saguaro forests in extremely rocky terrain - some of the oldest exposed rocks on the surface of the earth, according to the US Geological Survey. It's a beautiful place.

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer

Here is a female that I had many years ago before I had to leave the hobby due to health issues . When I had to sell my collection she was one of the ones that I truly didn't want to part with .

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Here is a female that I had many years ago before I had to leave the hobby due to health issues . When I had to sell my collection she was one of the ones that I truly didn't want to part with .
That was a while back if you were sporting a Gateway computer. :D

She is a gorgeous tarantula.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Nope, New River is a locality famed for its particularly bright chalcodes. And if you ever see "Table Mesa," well that mesa is located in New River...same thing.
...and "Black Canyon," another chalcodes locality, is just up the road, maybe 15 miles. Good ribs and pie in Black Canyon City.