Aphononopelma Chalcodes! Help/Care Sheet

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
But if you are interested in puppy dog sweet, what you are looking for is the aphonopelma chalcodes. They are hands-down the golden retrievers of the tarantula world. I have a pretty big assortment of these guys because they are the home team for us here in Arizona, and I've never had a threat pose and only very rarely had one kick hairs at me, and only when I certainly had it coming from the spider's point of view! They have got to be the most docile of all tarantulas, and for that reason are the perfect starter tarantula.
The worst threat pose I've ever gotten from a tarantula (fangs out and dripping with venom) was from my A. chalcodes. Individual specimens vary, no matter which species it is. My P. cancerides has never given me any trouble, nor any of my other Phormictopus species, and they're supposed to be the ones with the nasty attitude.

Dave27

Arachnopeon
10 gallons is way too big. 10 gallons is too big for an adult. They don't hunt well in such a big space, and they don't feel secure. That little space is what a sling wants.

I know it seems weird to have a new pet and not to go for a massive habitat, but when it comes to spiders, less is more.

Chalcodes are super easy, but they are not great eaters, which is going to worry you. Don't be worried. They fast for long periods of time. They come for a very hostile environment, which is my backyard. I actually find slings your's size all over in the house in the summer. Got one on my bedside right now I need to release later this evening when the temperature drops and it's nice and safe from tarantula Hawks outside. It's a beautiful species. You're going to love it.
Sorry.. question! I was wondering if you knew if I could give my new T dubia roaches? Or superworms even? Or should I just stick to crickets for now?

Sorry.. question! I was wondering if you knew if I could give my new T dubia roaches? Or superworms even? Or should I just stick to crickets for now?
Here are some photos of the enclosure I just put her in

25A03743-CD52-4E3A-A82B-FC599C309F56.jpeg 9AA5FA75-C4D8-444E-9072-CAA35220FC0A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you can get roaches, definitely go that route. I highly prefer them over any other feeder!