Aphononopelma Chalcodes! Help/Care Sheet

Dave27

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. My name is David. I’m fairly new to tarantulas! But very excited nonetheless. I keep a few snakes and crested geckos. I’m looking into getting myself an Arizona Blonde. I’ve looked at a few care sheets online and nothing seem to be concrete. I have a few photos of the tarantula. The reptile store I’m getting her from have given me some tips. But I would really appreciate some more information. The tarantula I have on hold is not too big. Maybe 1 1/12 inches? Maybe two? I’ll post some photos, (really bad photos) of the T. She also has not been sexed, but I am hoping for a female. I understand they like to burrow. I already have a block of eco earth and a hide/water dish. Is a 10 gallon to big for her size right now? Also, how often should I give her crickets? I appreciate any information you guys can give. Please and thank you! 553E48D9-3C11-4FAF-B301-947180EB2EE0.jpeg 29FB497B-3348-441D-8448-FB76E44154C9.jpeg 753731F4-964A-4F50-A184-CED3B7397437.jpeg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I personally keep my T’s in a 16 oz deli cup until they’re 2.5” then move them up into a bit larger enclosure. At 1 1/2” I would feed them twice to three times a week, but Aphonopelma sp are notorious for taking long fasts so it may not eat that much. Keep a water dish in at all times as well.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'll go against the grain and say a 10g tank isn't too big as long as you fill it with enough sub so that the distance between the sub and the lid is no more than 1.5x the leg span of your spider - A fall from the top of a 10g can be disastrous for a heavy-bodied terrestrial like an Aphonopelma.

The risk of using such a large enclosure is that the spider will burrow and never be seen again... if you use a smaller enclosure, they tend to make the entire thing their "burrow" and will be more visible. This is an arid species... keep the substrate dry and a water dish always full. As for how often to feed... base that on the size of the abdomen. You want it around the size of the carapace (though some people like theirs more plump). Feeding every few weeks is fine, and if your T refuses food that is fine (even for months!) as long as the abdomen is plump and water is available.

At that size, you can tell the sex of the tarantula with the next molt. Since molts can be far between with these guys, if you can get a good ventral photo people can give you their educated opinions on the sex in the meantime.

Welcome to the hobby!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
10 gallons is way too big. 10 gallons is too big for an adult. They don't hunt well in such a big space, and they don't feel secure. That little space is what a sling wants.

I know it seems weird to have a new pet and not to go for a massive habitat, but when it comes to spiders, less is more.

Chalcodes are super easy, but they are not great eaters, which is going to worry you. Don't be worried. They fast for long periods of time. They come for a very hostile environment, which is my backyard. I actually find slings your's size all over in the house in the summer. Got one on my bedside right now I need to release later this evening when the temperature drops and it's nice and safe from tarantula Hawks outside. It's a beautiful species. You're going to love it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
10 gallons is way too big. 10 gallons is too big for an adult. They don't hunt well in such a big space, and they don't feel secure. That little space is what a sling wants.
My adult is in a 10g and seems quite content, if one can judge such things.

Dave27

Arachnopeon
By the way one too many no in there, and that’s a no no. :troll:
Oh no! They aren’t various tarantulas. It’s all the same one. I apologize for not specifying.

By the way one too many no in there, and that’s a no no. :troll:

Thank you!

I'll go against the grain and say a 10g tank isn't too big as long as you fill it with enough sub so that the distance between the sub and the lid is no more than 1.5x the leg span of your spider - A fall from the top of a 10g can be disastrous for a heavy-bodied terrestrial like an Aphonopelma.

The risk of using such a large enclosure is that the spider will burrow and never be seen again... if you use a smaller enclosure, they tend to make the entire thing their "burrow" and will be more visible. This is an arid species... keep the substrate dry and a water dish always full. As for how often to feed... base that on the size of the abdomen. You want it around the size of the carapace (though some people like theirs more plump). Feeding every few weeks is fine, and if your T refuses food that is fine (even for months!) as long as the abdomen is plump and water is available.

At that size, you can tell the sex of the tarantula with the next molt. Since molts can be far between with these guys, if you can get a good ventral photo people can give you their educated opinions on the sex in the meantime.

Welcome to the hobby!
Thank you! I’m happy to be here. And thank you for all the information as well. I’ll make sure to keep that in mind. I’ll definitely be posting a photo of that. I’m actually on my way to get her now. Very excite!

How long did it take for yours to become an adult?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I have found that 1 inch babies grow into 3-4 inch juveniles in about a year-and-a-half, but that's a very rough average with extreme variations.

Definitely slow growers!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Guys, I'm dumb. My adult is in a 5 gallon, NOT a 10 gallon :rofl:

Thank you! I’m happy to be here. And thank you for all the information as well. I’ll make sure to keep that in mind. I’ll definitely be posting a photo of that. I’m actually on my way to get her now. Very excite!
Oh yay! I am excited for you!!

How long did it take for yours to become an adult?
I actually got mine as an adult 2 years ago... and am still waiting on a molt lol

Dave27

Arachnopeon

I know it seems weird to have a new pet and not to go for a massive habitat, but when it comes to spiders, less is more.

Chalcodes are super easy, but they are not great eaters, which is going to worry you. Don't be worried. They fast for long periods of time. They come for a very hostile environment, which is my backyard. I actually find slings your's size all over in the house in the summer. Got one on my bedside right now I need to release later this evening when the temperature drops and it's nice and safe from tarantula Hawks outside. It's a beautiful species. You're going to love it.
You’re right. That’s something I would be afraid of. For sure. Maybe I can try for a five gallon? Haha I wish I found them in my back yard! Yes! They are really beautiful. I’m really hoping the one I’m getting is female. It has not been sexed. But regardless male or female it will be a learning experience and I want to do things right. Thank you for responding!

I have found that 1 inch babies grow into 3-4 inch juveniles in about a year-and-a-half, but that's a very rough average with extreme variations.

Definitely slow growers!
Hmmm I’ll keep that in mind. What would be a good beginner T that grows a little bit faster?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
My first tarantula this go-round was a lasiodora parahybana. It started out really small and grew to really big really fast.

REALLY big.

REALLY fast.

No, REALLY.

My mature big boy lives in a 10 gallon tank, and let me tell you, he takes up every inch!

Dave27

Arachnopeon
B. albopilosum
B. vagans
G. pulchripes
I’ll have do some research for them as well. Just to get more informed. I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew at this point. They’re all so beautiful!

Last edited:

Dave27

Arachnopeon
My first tarantula this go-round was a lasiodora parahybana. It started out really small and grew to really big really fast.

REALLY big.

REALLY fast.

No, REALLY.

My mature big boy lives in a 10 gallon tank, and let me tell you, he takes up every inch!
How do you think it got within the year?! I know it’s a lot harder to keep slings. Especially since I’m really new to the hobby.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
He was three or four inches within one year, and that is growing from a quarter inch to 1/2 inch when I first got him. He was a male, and matured fully within 18 months. He's now 7 or 8 inches in leg span. He has been matured for about a year and some and he is less than 3 years old. He seemed like a little sling for a long time, then suddenly he was bigger than the dubias and eating like crazy and then suddenly he was Giant! :rolleyes:

I can also recommend A. geniculata for fast growth. They are a little more defensive than LPs, however. And keep in mind, generally, that the faster they grow the faster they die. Some of the slow Growers can live 30 years or more!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hmmm I’ll keep that in mind. What would be a good beginner T that grows a little bit faster?
Lasiodora parahybana and Phormictopus cancerides grow fast and get large! People don't often recommend them... they have a reputarion of being "too common" and/or "too boring"... But I really enjoy mine of both species! We just got our LP sling about a month and a half ago... it has already molted once and went from 1.25"ish to 2-2.5"! We got our P. cancerides as an unsexed adult and were lucky she ended up being a she! Adults molt less frequently than slings... we have had two molts in two years from her, and she is a solid 6" or more. Both are docile, great display animals, and have awesome feeding responses!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
But if you are interested in puppy dog sweet, what you are looking for is the aphonopelma chalcodes. They are hands-down the golden retrievers of the tarantula world. I have a pretty big assortment of these guys because they are the home team for us here in Arizona, and I've never had a threat pose and only very rarely had one kick hairs at me, and only when I certainly had it coming from the spider's point of view! They have got to be the most docile of all tarantulas, and for that reason are the perfect starter tarantula.

Dave27

Arachnopeon
I can also recommend A. geniculata for fast growth. They are a little more defensive than LPs, however. And keep in mind, generally, that the faster they grow the faster they die. Some of the slow Growers can live 30 years or more!
An LP is really starting to grow on me! I’ll definitely keep an eye out for one at next months expo! Expect my next post to be asking for more info on them haha:astonished:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
LP slings are easy to raise and cheap (often free with purchase of another T), females are fairly cheap too - approximately $40 to $80, depending on the size (2 to 4 inch)

A. chalcodes are cheap too, females usually around $50. A thing to keep in mind if you get one is they sometimes go on long hunger strikes, which is annoying. Mine hasn't eaten in months.