Aphonmpelma enclosure

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Btw, the hide is a red solo cup! I hot glue coco fiber to it...looks pretty spiffy. The wife and I have made variations where we will glue moss on the out side to accommodate some moisture/humidity dependent species in our care.
Does it hold up to adult tarantulas sitting on top of them? Several of my T's like to perch on top of their hides and is how I made a smaller enclosure work for my A. chalcodes -- it is effectively bi-level. :D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
You, my man are one lucky bugger!!!!!

That is A. moderatum (Rio Grande Gold) and I have been looking for one for years.

I envy you :sour:
Oh! Is that why the T looks lighter overall than A. chalcodes? I thought it was just variation. I think they're one of the more defensive Aphonopelma species but very beautiful -- and can be found along the Rio Grande in Texas... hmm... :D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Oh! Is that why the T looks lighter overall than A. chalcodes? I thought it was just variation. I think they're one of the more defensive Aphonopelma species but very beautiful -- and can be found along the Rio Grande in Texas... hmm... :D
Yes it is. The golden appearance can throw people to chalcodes as moderatums are usually rust coloured as adults but with those distinctive dark grey/black areas on the knees and front of the carapace around the eyes, with the lack of black or brown on the femurs says moderatum. An amazing species and very tricky to get a hold of. I wish there was as many of these on the market in UK as there is A. chalcodes.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
It could be A. chalcodes, it could be A. moderatum. They look very similar, and natural colour variations in both species mean that it is even harder to tell what she is. If it is an A. moderatum, I have a male I might intrest you in...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It could be A. chalcodes, it could be A. moderatum. They look very similar, and natural colour variations in both species mean that it is even harder to tell what she is. If it is an A. moderatum, I have a male I might intrest you in...
Hmmm .. I have seen moderatums with completely golden/rust carapaces but have never seen chalcodes with the dark triangle around the eyes.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Does it hold up to adult tarantulas sitting on top of them? Several of my T's like to perch on top of their hides and is how I made a smaller enclosure work for my A. chalcodes -- it is effectively bi-level. :D
The chalcodes walks on it without give. I have one for a bigger pulchripies but I haven't observed her on it just yet.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
My bad guys...I believe Kezy is right. It is a moderatum. I looked online to educate myself. Think the chalcodes gets bigger and is has a bit more black on the legs. The moderatum is smaller I believe and has less black.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My bad guys...I believe Kezy is right. It is a moderatum. I looked online to educate myself. Think the chalcodes gets bigger and is has a bit more black on the legs. The moderatum is smaller I believe and has less black.
Where did you acquire this lovely tarantula? :)

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Where did you acquire this lovely tarantula? :)
I bought it from someone I know. He has had it for a while, but is looking at getting out of the hobby.... albeit it sounds temporarily as he still very much has a passion for it from what I can tell.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
If I was in the US I would also be asking :angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:
Does one require a license or something to buy/sell overseas? (My apologies if that's a dumb question. I've just never looked into it, especially since the U.S. is stupid when it comes to importing harmless inverts such as millipedes. :grumpy: )

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
What is her temperament like? moderatums usually have a very defensive temperament for aphonopelma.
She is a little skiddish it seems, but the guy I bought it from handled her and even used the cup method to hold her. I have handled her a few times already. Hasn't shown a threat posture, but has bolted once and not very far. Had her enclosure on the floor at the time.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Does one require a license or something to buy/sell overseas? (My apologies if that's a dumb question. I've just never looked into it, especially since the U.S. is stupid when it comes to importing harmless inverts such as millipedes. :grumpy: )
I am not sure. I haven't shipped anywhere outside of the EU but I would expect there to be certain import/export fees and paperwork requires for animals sent between EU and US.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I am not sure. I haven't shipped anywhere outside of the EU but I would expect there to be certain import/export fees and paperwork requires for animals sent between EU and US.
Perhaps it shall be worth looking into if you really want A. moderatum and they aren't currently in the EU hobby. It is premature for me to think about since I have not actually found any yet but they are supposed to be plentiful along the Rio Grande...:bookworm:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Perhaps it shall be worth looking into if you really want A. moderatum and they aren't currently in the EU hobby. It is premature for me to think about since I have not actually found any yet but they are supposed to be plentiful along the Rio Grande...:bookworm:
I am not so sure they are that easy to come across even along the Rio Grande. I think @Austin S. may be the man to talk to about that.

I would do anything for one aha. There was someone on Facebook selling her unsexed juvenile for £210 collection only. I was considering driving to England and all the way south to pick it up. o_O

I try not to worry about it too much. I keep telling myself that they will be back in the hobby soon :sorry:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I am not so sure they are that easy to come across even along the Rio Grande. I think @Austin S. may be the man to talk to about that.

I would do anything for one aha. There was someone on Facebook selling her unsexed juvenile for £210 collection only. I was considering driving to England and all the way south to pick it up. o_O

I try not to worry about it too much. I keep telling myself that they will be back in the hobby soon :sorry:
According to the 2016 paper on the Aphonopelma genus in the U.S. by Hamilton et al., it sounds like they are plentiful in their range. It's worth a try and I may find some millipedes too while I am out there. :watchingyou: While I by no means limit my collection to North America, I do like to focus on collecting and culturing our native species. And while there is always demand for the biggest and the most colorful, I do appreciate the subtle beauty of the under-appreciated Aphonopelma tarantulas. :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yes they do, but they're often old mouse burrows. I don't think they actually do the digging themselves, as the soil is too hard around here.
Lol! I knew that but thanks! I was asking walker because he was refuting my claims that aphnos can benefit from deeper sub..